Formerly broody hen... would you put inspiration eggs back in the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenLove123, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    My hen laid regularly from 19 weeks old to about 24 weeks old, then she went broody. I still had the inspiration eggs in the nest, and she wanted to hatch THOSE. So, I took the inspiration eggs out and she was no longer broody (total broody time was about 2 1/2 days). She is finally getting the color back in her face (it's been about a week and a half since she stopped being broody) and will likely lay again soon (hopefully). She also has two coop-mates, one who looks like she might also start laying soon.

MY QUESTION IS... would you put the inspiration eggs back in the box? I don't want hen #1 to think it's time to be a mom again. My theory is that the eggs will come out eventually, and chances are fairly strong that they might be deposited in the nesting box...

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know. I would say leave them out a bit longer - she already knows where to lay. Once she resumes laying, then put them back.

3. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by