Forms of Alfalfa for chickens/ducks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by susienoe, Aug 28, 2013.

1. susienoe

susienoe Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Can I ask a question of you seasoned poultry owners? I had included alfalfa as an ingredient in my homemade feed. I was unsure of what kind to buy so I got pellets. I am also including field peas, but I read that they need to be ground, so I bought a grinder and ran the peas and some of the alfalfa pellets through the grinder last night. I just can't tell from all of the impacted chicken stories here if this is going to be better or worse to grind up the alfalfa pellets for the chickens/ducks. I believe they are horse pellets, I put them through a grain mill on a course grind and they came out pretty small flakes. Thanks!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    we ferment our feed, alfalfa pellets work well, you can also use alfalfa cubes or rabbit pellets.

3. susienoe

susienoe Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    I probably won't ferment (have my hands full with yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut for the 4 kiddos) but interesting to know it can be done! Would you think it better to give the chickens whole pellets, or grind them?

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    before i fermented, i had some troubles with the bantams eating pellets, i switched to rabbit pellets and they ate them pretty well. since you have them and a grinder, i would grind them.

just so you know, if your chickens can get to grass; the alfalfa is un-needed.

be careful with mixing your own feed, one mistake can cost you months of laying. we have a mill that mixes feed for us, we have spent about 2 years studying the ingredients in our feed. some of our beginning mixes caused dull feathers and overall poor condition with a severe lack of vitamin E and protein. i also killed at least one chicken with a whole canadian pea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by