forsham chicken ark

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jackson41, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    First time posting. Has anyone used this ark in the winter? I have a very small yard but can have 3 chickens in my city.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Got a pic of said chicky ark? Oh and [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
  5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:well I do so believe you to be right on the mark chickenwhisperer! a nice little three hen hotel!! I'd use it in the winter and if it gets too cold...throw some nice heavy plastic over it at night. Chickies aren't as delicate as we try to make them [​IMG]

6. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hi Again, New to this chicken thing can I have three different breeds if I get them at the same time? Thinking about orpington,EE,wyandotte. Or should I have all three the same breed?

Grandma of nine

7. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Having three different breeds is just fiine.

8. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We have an A-frame ark, not exactly the Forsham but a similar idea:

[​IMG]

We had originally intended to have 3 hens, but opted instead to get twice as many bantams and we're thrilled with that decision! More girls to love, and their eggs are a nice size (especially those from the bantam Buff Brahma, Barred Rock, and Easter Eggers). I use 2 of their eggs for 1 standard sized egg in my cooking. A chicken-owning friend recommended the bantams, the idea being that if we lost one to predators or disease it would less devastating to DD than if we lost 1/3 the flock in one fell swoop. No losses so far, though. Ours are wintering in it just fine, we just bed them in a nice thick layer of hay. Good luck!

9. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info. I live in Wi and it can get pretty cold. AT what temp do you keep them in the coop all day?

Grandma of 9

10. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We never shut ours in the coop during the daytime, although when we had the Big Snow in December (24") they voluntarily stayed in. Here in central VA it doesn't often get below the 20s during the day. I suppose you could add a light for warmth if you like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by