Forum member with genetics background?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Addie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Addie

Addie New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    Several months ago I saw a post where a member mentioned that he had some education/training in genetics. Are you out there, or does anyone know who it is? This person's training may have been in genetics other than poultry, but he was knowledgable about chicken breeding. For a project I'm looking for someone with some background (education or experience) in selective breeding over several years. Thanks...

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Just post your question....

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    That would be rtroxel (Rudy Troxel -Triangle Acres Poultry) on the wyandotte thread. He graduated with a degree in genetics here in the US AND he raises fabulous wyandottes, chochins, dorkings, among others. There are several armchair quarterbacks on here who spout genetics they've gleened from books and the web yet they don't actually have experience with breeding for the standard of perfection and have never exhibited. They say they don't have access to good birds because of the country they live in. So they live vicariously through telling you what to do with your birds.

Colby in Kentucky,
    '
    and yes, I do own what I talk about...

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Henk69 has an excellent understanding and knowledge of genetics and poultry breeding. Offhand, I do not recall his degrees, but I know I've seen them mentioned. Likewise, Tadkerson has extensive experience and knowledge; he is a retired biology teacher. Blackdotte is equally knowledgeable and experienced. He is also published. All three of these are well-regarded on the genetics forum of Classroom-At-The-Coop, a much more serious and in-depth genetics forum than this one. There are also a number of other quite knowledgeable people who respond to geentics and breeding questions.

As was stated, post your question.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You missed one...You ARE very knowledgeable! [​IMG] I have always been jealous of how much you know and share!

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:and ofcourse you "Sonoran" you help alot around here, and I have learned alot from you over the years..

7. Addie

Addie New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks--those are very helpful answers! It's a complicated project but if I come up with a "short list" of questions I'll post them here. I'm really glad to know about Classroom at The Coop, Sonoran Silkie.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The names I posted have far more experience and knowledge than I, but thank you for the compliments [​IMG]

9. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:thank you. this goes for way more than genetics.

10. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    I have a degree in biochemistry (molecular biology).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by