forums, god, prayers, and chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by quizzle, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quizzle

quizzle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have some experience with different forums and noticed God and religion always come into play. I tend to have a laissez-faire approach to things and I'm fine with people doing whatever it is they need to do to be happy and healthy.

What I noticed is God and prayers always show up on forums be it chickens or gardens or motorcycles whether asked for or not. Maybe not lock-picking or more male dominated forums.

I am not religious, but I know a lot of people find faith a deep, spiritual resource. However, I wonder if I was religious and wasn't Christian if I could feel comfortable here without repressing it. It's not necessarily bad. It is touching to see that there are people out there across the world who care or connect enough with someone to pray for them. I'm just saying for someone who isn't religious who wants to learn more about raising chickens on a chicken forum, there's a lot of reference to God.

I feel like I would be ostracized if I didn't go along.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quizzle, your thoughts reflect the thoughts of many here on BYC. We've been through many threads full of arguments and calls for tolerance.

The upshot is, all are welcome, and none should try to force their belief system on anybody else. We hope you feel welcome here.

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have one thing to say here...when prayer is needed, it is asked for...and there are people willing to pray for you no matter where you are if you ask...there's nothing wrong with asking for prayer...what is this world coming to when people have to feel uncomfortable asking for such a simple thing?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you will find many, many non-Christians here. There are all sorts of people here on BYC. Just look at the thread "Tell us about yourself" that dangerouschicken started and you'll see.

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I agree with Morelcabin.

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Thank You for that. I have a lot more to say on the subject but then its possible that I might offend and I certainly dont want to be offend. It wouldn't be, well, very Christian of me.

I hope that Quizzle continues to feel welcome here. I am a "new guy" here and I have certainly found a wealth of knowledge here and even found a vendor for the chickens we have purchased. Its a wonderful site.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm not exactly religous but when ever I want to respond to someone that needs a little support I tell them I will keep them in my thoughts. I never feel pressured here at BYC and everyone seems to respect everyone else. I'll say it agian BYC is great.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm most definitely not a Christian, but prayers sent from anyone with good intent can help...
    "Do unto others" and "Do what thou wilst, harm none" say the same thing...

Don't feel ostracized Quizzle...I won't throw stones...

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I think in reality there are very few people that wouldn't at least *want* to ask for prayer, or pray themselves if something in thier lives goes dreadfully wrong. They may not, because they are not religious, but something deep down will urge them to:>)

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is a big presence, but not to worry, there are a good number on the board that probably feel the same as you, but just don't say anything and pass by those types of threads. The religious pots and themes just tend to stand out from the rest of the threads. I personally ignore them and move on along as people can chose to believe what they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by