1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fossil DE Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sadie_Jean, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sadie_Jean

Sadie_Jean New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    I have never has chickens before but a friend gave us the 2 they had because the neighbors didn't like them. So what I need to know is; I have food grade Fossil DE, that I use in the garden for pest control. Can I use it in a coop with shaved pine, in there nesting box and in a dusting box? Also when do they start laying. They said they were around 3 1/2 to 4 months old when we got them. Our local mill sold me layer feed and said they should start laying around 21 weeks.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Food grade DE (fossil flour) is fine to use for that purpose and works well as long as it stays dry....

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG]

Imp

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I just used food grade DE in the coop, raked it right into the pine shavings and nesting boxes, so far so good!

5. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    How much do you use in your shavings? My coop is 48 sq. ft.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Gerry,

I never measure the amount that I use when sprinkling the food grade DE on the coop/run floor or in the nest boxed, I just do a light dusting.

Check out my food grade DE page to see what I mean.

Hope this is some help!

7. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks, that's what I've been doing, but didn't know if I should have used more or less.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I go by less and add a bit more if needed, as needed, within a week and have had positive results.

Sorry to the nay-sayers, not set-up to do scientific results, just going by what I know.

And finally (after over a month of aggravation) finally got the book "Going Green Using Diatomaceous Earth How-ToTips" by Tui Rose.

So far, half of it, I'd learned by myself...the other half has been good to know, too. Well worth the money spent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by