Fossils of possible new human species found in China

AquaEyes

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Buffalo (but from Long Island)
I saw this article posted on my facebook news feed, and immediately (before reading the article) thought "Hmmm...I remember something about a finger bone being found a couple years ago that couldn't be assigned by DNA analysis to either us or Neanderthal...could this be the same species?" and lo and behold, they mentioned that in the article. It's all tentative and new, requiring further analysis, but based on dating information thus far, this species lived at the same time that agriculture was being developed in China by modern humans. I wonder if some of the Yeti myth originates from stories passed down from encounters with this species from a few thousand years back. It was so cool, I felt the need to share.

P.S. If human evolution isn't your cup of tea, I understand, but there are many of us here who enjoy the beverage, and sharing this is for that group. Please don't turn this into a creationism debate. Thanks.

:)

Last edited:
Wow! Keep us informed if you hear anymore about this..
I've been saying it allll along... :D

I don't understand why you would create a thread that you know is controversial and then ask to avoid controversy. You also have as your signature statements that you know are offensive to many people...and then you again ask to avoid differing opinions. I understand there are some closed minded Christians, but I have never met an open minded Atheist.

This is a thread about science. Its as simple as that. It should NOT be controversial..
Be respectful, please. If you dont like science,.. then WHY would you open up the thread?? Other than to cause problems... :confused:
Be an adult and move on if you dont like the content..easy peasy!!! :)

Last edited:
Actually I love science and I am open minded when it comes to science. It is when people jump to conclusions before the information is complete that causes problems. I am also not aware that I was being rude by showing a person in inviting controversy and then asking to avoid it. And yes science can be very controversial. If it wasn't people would still think the world is flat.

Did you know creationism acknowledges there were other forms of humans? I am willing to listen to your points, but you should be willing to listen to mine. It also accepts the genes might still be in our DNA today. Now I realize the best way to avoid exchanging information can cause controversy, but evolution is not the only science.
thumbsup.gif

Aquaeyes:
Cool! But, it was the Yeti mention that really caught my interest. I'm not at all sure about the truth of the following, but, I've *read* that Adolf Hitler sent this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938–1939_German_expedition_to_Tibet
to Tibet, with some talk that Hitler was interested to see if the yeti was a 'missing link' in the human evolution chain.
I've also heard that the word for what we call the yeti is actually 'meti', which means 'bear'. Traditional legends seem to revolve around bear-like, not ape-type creatures. Yetis/metis are said to be yak killers, which is something a big ol' Tibetan mountain bear can and will do. Two rare bear species in particular match local descriptions. That story is fascinating to me because it lead me to discover three bear species I had previously been completely unaware of! Exclamation mark needed because I honestly get giddy about such things. X)

DC:
Quote:
Come over for tea...I'm married to one. ;) That said, evolution does not equate to atheism.
th.gif

Last edited:
Actually I love science and I am open minded when it comes to science.  It is when people jump to conclusions before the information is complete that causes problems.  I am also not aware that I was being rude by showing a person in inviting controversy and then asking to avoid it.  And yes science can be very controversial.  If it wasn't people would still think the world is flat.

Did you know creationism acknowledges there were other forms of humans?  I am willing to listen to your points, but you should be willing to listen to mine.  It also accepts the genes might still be in our DNA today. Now I realize the best way to avoid exchanging information can cause controversy, but evolution is not the only science.
:thumbsup

Understood!!! And fair!! But THIS thread isnt about the info you just stated,...
Maybe you can start ANOTHER thread with that info,.. so others can learn from it.. :thumbsup
For this thread we are talking about the SPECIFIC links that he provided..
If you start your own thread i am SURE that many folks, (including myself) would be more than willing to read them and learn any info that you want to share with us.. :)

goodpost.gif

Wow, that adds a whole new level for me. I could actually believe in Yeti with a little more information like this. Adolph Hitler was very interested in science and also had a strong interest in the occult. I look forward to viewing the article, thank you.

DC: I don't think the Wiki blurb even mentions it. Most of that information came from a book written by a...I think he was a mountain climber interested in tracking the yeti. I am trying to find it. But basically, he isn't what I'd call a reliable source, and I'd have to look into it elsewhere. This is another mention of meti versus yeti, but again, nothing substantial. XD
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3143020.stm
...Anyone here from rural Tibet...?

Last edited:
I am also interested in this thread and have no problem with the bone or DNA findings. I also find it interesting when something like this is discovered and I don't see it as a threat to anything I think or believe. I am not sure why you would want other options excluded. I find that many times different options come together to prove or disprove the other. Wouldn't it be great to find out the bone was a link to another form of human? I am open to it...

I hope we can now move on and have an intelligent conversation and be open to science and scientific findings.

Back
Top Bottom