1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Foster Care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmjoffrion, May 13, 2010.

1. jmjoffrion

jmjoffrion In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    I just adopted a banty hen and rooster. I would like to get some standard sized chicks for egg production and was wondering if my banty hen, Hyacinth, would be able to brood them. She and Fordice, the rooster are mates and contained together. Will Fordice harm chicks or will they and Hyacinth need to be moved to another location to prevent him from killing the chicks?

2. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I can't answer that but I'm sure someone will. I just saw this was your first post so............................................[​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    What breed is your hen. You would need her to be broody before she'll take on chicks, and even then, she may not accept them.

4. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    LilPeeps, I'm not sure what breed they are. Got them "second hand" from a gentleman who wasn't sure himself. Not even sure of their age. I did know that she needs to be broody first but just wasn't sure if I needed to segrgate her and the chicks from Fordice. I'm new to this whole chicken thing and would hate to do something stupid like give a death sentance (and have a bloody mess to clean up) if I can avoid it.

Ginbart, This IS my first post. Been a fan of the website for years but I just got my first set of chickens for mother's day! [​IMG]

5. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Post a picture and the good folks here will tell you what you have [​IMG]

6. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    Karen71- as soon as I can figure out how to post one I will do just that. Thanks!

7. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    [​IMG]
    This is a great shot of the rooster. Again they are both bantams. If anyone can help me identify what breed they are that would be great.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Does he have feathered feet? If so, he may be a hatchery gold laced cochin. Do you have a better pic of the hen?

9. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    Here's the hen... yes they do have feathered feet.

[​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are gold laced cochins. Fortunately, cochins tend to be a broody breed, so you may be able to brood chicks with her, depending on her attitude toward the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: