Foster dog fighting w/ my GP! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Oct 13, 2009.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I've been fostering a 7yr old chow/McNab, Buddy, for 11 days now - he was neutered last Thurs.
    My GP, Ludwig, (also neutered - 5yrs old) does his best to tolerate Buddy, but Buddy has decided to act dominant and challenge Ludwig's authority. I've had to break up 2 fights. The first fight broke out around my legs (maybe I was the "valued resource"?). The second occurred out on the deck. Buddy very rudely shoved his nose under Ludwig's leg to sniff his privates. Like a calf to a cow! Needless to say, Ludwig did not tolerate Buddy's aggressive rudeness.
    Is there any way to get these guys to co-exist in realative peace - or must I keep them separated at all times no matter what?
    There are no other foster homes available right now, but I'm working hard on finding Buddy a good home - he really deserves it, as his previous owner was abusive, yet Buddy still loves life. He just has no manners!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It doesn't sound like they want to co-exist. If you are only "fostering" Buddy temporarily, it might be time for him to move on to greener pastures and find a permanent home.

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Separate them. They can each be out 50% of the time. Crate one or have it in another room with a closed door.

If the chow has just been neutered he still thinks he is an intact male and will act so.

Ludwig is very understandably taking exception to a dominant jerk on his home turf trying to take over.

Don't risk injury to you or yourself and separate them and keep them that way until the chow is placed.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Brindle.

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    half of the foster dogs aggression issue is the fact that he was only just recently altered.
    it takes a good month or more for the testosterone levels to drop to near nil.
    I would keep them seperated untill after a month has passed then slowly re intorduce them and see how it goes.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I totally agree that they need to be kept separated, but just thought if his stay is only temporary it might be a good time to start trying to re-home him. Especially if your dog isn't happy with the fact that he's around. Kind of unfair to your GP, IMO.

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Yeah - all the above responses are as I expected. I was just hoping there was a training technique that would facilitate a peaceful co-existance. They will just have to remain separated [​IMG]
    Thanks for the responses.

8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    You could contact chickerdoodle. She might have an idea.

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:As mentioned if your going to rehome him then now would be the time,
    If not wait out the month for the testosterone level to drop and retry introducing, unfortunately if he is high testosterone ( bully factor) he isnt going to listen well with out proper training aids. I would honestly just wait him out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by