Foster Mom?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, May 14, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hey well, I got a call about 2 secs ago. I have a friend who has a few 3-4 week old TINY Bantam Gold Necks. She is moving next month into an apt. She cant take. Well I have a broody hen. When do you think I can put the foster with her?

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Is she sitting on eggs right now? If so, how long till they hatch?

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'm thinking that 3 - 4 week old chicks are a bit too big to try and fool a broody hen with, as opposed to day-old chicks. [​IMG]

Dawn

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hey, it's worth a shot. My cochin, Tina, will take in ANYTHING when she's broody. I can (and I have) dump 2 week olds in with her in the middle of the day and she calls them right over. She may be an exception, though.
    Put them in there at night when she's asleep, but be prepared to remove a very angry hen if she figures out those aren't hers!

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    The eggs make hatch the first week of June. THe banties are SOOOOOO tiny, like day olds.

6. jessica117

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    You're going to have to wait till the eggs hatch then slip them in. If not, I'd assume she'll leave the nest of eggs and go raise the new babies.

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    So, are banty chicks gonna stay tiny. When is the best time to slip them under? While they hatch?

8. jessica117

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I would wait till the eggs hatch. That night after your hen goes to sleep, slip them in under her. Be sure and be up first thing in the morning though to make sure she accepts them. You could even plan on waking up that morning an hour or so before dawn and slip them in then. That way you can observe them waking up and make sure it all works out.

Jess

9. chookboy

chookboy Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Australia, Melbourne
    I don't see why not... its worth a try

I got one RIR hen who hatched out 2x chicks but she wasn't a good mother and abandon her chicks at only 5 weeks of age. My batam hen who I let her hatched 8x RIR standard baby chicks three weeks later than the RIR mother hen took these two baby in without any problem (No, I didn't even put them with her, because of the cold the 2x chicks just hang out with this mother batam + her babies to keep warm). Its kind of funny becoz now at week 6 only 3x out of 10x chicks can fully fit under her tiny little body. The 2x 6 weeks old RIR chicks are half the size of this mother batam but they refuse to leave her side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by