1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

foster mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kerroppi76, Aug 4, 2011.

1. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    After I cleaned the brooder thought the girls would like a treat. So I cut up carrots, zucchini, and blueberries. After a little while I went in to check to see if they liked them and saw my easter egger laying on top of 2 of my silkies...IS this normal? The silkies are 4 1/2 weeks old and the EE is 5 1/2 weeks..

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Chicks have a natural inclination to roost under Mama. In the absence of a true Mama, they will often try to climb under another chick in the brooder - especially if they are different sizes (smaller chicks will try to crawl under larger).

3. kerroppi76

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    it doesn't mean they are too cold or anyhting?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    At these ages I wouldn't be worried about them being too cold, unless you have your house set to be a refrigerator!

5. kerroppi76

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    no actually they are in the hottest rom in the house and I opened the window for a little fresh air since it is 80* here today. THanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by