Foster moms

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lil'turkeymama, May 19, 2010.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Songster

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I set 10 turkey eggs under a mixed breed chicken.I have hatched ducks many times this way.I am wondering if anyone has had luck with turkeys?Thanks...

2. We have done it from time to time with good results. It's a funny sight when the poults get bigger than the mama hen. Also they will pick up chicken traits from her. You will see that batch of poults scratching alot more than other poults.

Steve

3. PatS

PatS Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    It makes me smile to think of the big poults following the mother chicken around. When they are raised by a chicken, how do you avoid the poults picking up things like cocci from the Mama hen? Does medicated turkey starter prevent them from catching it?

4. One of the problems with raising turkey poults on the ground is cocci. That's why I always tell people to be prepared to loose some along the way. Not just from that but they can get stepped on, get seperated etc.

Medicated feed doesn't prevent cocci. It's a low dosage of amprolium and that allows them to get a very mild case and build up an immunity and it does work. Medicated feed is all we feed our little ones. When I have hen raised I confine them to a smaller maturnity pen. It keeps the poults closer to the hen and for each batch I add a layer of fresh sand to cover the ground a couple inches deep. It's still possible they can catch it but the chance is reduced from the new sand.

Steve

5. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Songster

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks,I usually raise the poults myself.I haven't had any problems so far.I did once let a hen have ducklings.I thought she was gonna have a stroke when they first found the creek.She freaked out and fussed for quite awhile.She finally got used to it but it was strange to see her running up and down the creek yelling for the kids to get out of the water.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: