Fostering Dog for A Friend in the Marines **Update Owner Now Home pg. 4

Widget

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Limington, Maine
Update: Slim's owner made it home
ya.gif
Now he needs to get from ME to NC to be reunited with his family. See page four for details.

Okay Peeps I need your help.

I have a friend in the Marines who is being deployed in July. She has asked me to foster her Lab while she is gone. Of course I said yes as long as it was just the dog and not her kids.
smile.png

Problem is the dog is in NC and I am in Maine. It seems of the airlines that fly into my local airport only Delta and United will take pets in cargo. USAir doesn't so of course they are the only airline that has a direct flight.
sad.png
If we have to we will try Delta or United but I was hoping that someone here might have a better idea.

I know rescues often due volunteer transports and some private pilots will offer to fly rescue dogs to help out. So is there anything like that for military pets ?

Last edited:
Try contacting a local shelter. They might know. I would assume there would be some sort of assistance for something like that. I could be wrong. My guess is a shelter would know.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this! I was thinking this but didn't know enough to say it so it would be understood. I'm in CT....I'd take a leg!

Wow, I wish I was in a position to be going that way. I'm sure someone will have some answers for you though.
Kudos to you for doing this for her!

i can go from syracuse ny to conneticut if they want to meet 1/2 way? weather permitting.. what kind of dog and male or female.. i have a female lab at home

Last edited:
Well.. heres my idea..
Have her contact her local army/marine/airforce base... and see if they will transport the dog base to base...like a chain...
If they can get the dog to Westover airforce base here in Chicopee, Mass.(my cousin works there)..i can try to get the dog to you in Maine..
Maybe an army/airforce plane can fly her to Westover? Its an airport....

I would be willing to help with a transport chain, if you get one. Meet in S Jersey area, take up to NY border, or something.

Check www.uship.com. It is a site where people bid on transporting objects and a lot of animals across the country. My dad does it all the time, every time they go on a trip, they hitch up a flatbed and pick up and drop off stuff along the way. Last yr when our whole family went to Massachusetts, we brought two of the cutest puppies from Arkansas all the way to Massachusetts. They were loved and held the whole time by my kids. I'm not sure about cost but I know I would rather my pet travel that way than in a cargo hold. I'm thinking people would probably keep the bidding low especially if you talk about Marines and deployment and fostering the pet.

Back
Top Bottom