Fostering ducks

dishfickle

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2012
I have a friend with chickens and ducks. She said she'd take my runner and call for awhile while we do duck house and run modifications. She's worried they won't get along with hers. It doesn't seem to me that ducks are nasty like chickens. When I've gotten new ones it was no big deal. Have you all found this to be true? What's funny is, I got the runner from her, she'll probably enjoy the reunion!

I have a male and female khaki and added two female runners without an issue. Out of he cage and instant bond. I consider myself very lucky after my still ongoing longest in history chicken integration.

That was my experience. Except One of my new runners had a run in (ha!) With one of my chickens. The chickens tried to show her who was to bird, runner told her she was wrong.

I'm the one that had the mink attack. We have one call and one runner left. Like laurel and hardy lol. Her head is pretty scabbed up, and she's still sore. She's having a hard time preening. I think she's pretty stiff. Getting better

That’s good I am sure they are much happier being together. Have you fortified your run and coop to keep those mink out now? I have read they can get through 1” space.

My Runners are the most accepting group of ducks. When they were hatched a member wanted some Muscovy and a Runner for company, when they were around 2 months old she brought the Runner back said she was too loud those Runners accepted her back like she had never left . Now they weren’t of breeding age yet and not sure if that would have made any difference but all you can do is introduce and see how it goes if hers become aggressive then of course she’d have to separate but they may just accept her. Never know till you try. My Runners and 2 Buffs that were hatched with them have never even had a spat they are so close to one another. Maybe once you get your run and coop finished you can talk your friend into letting you have another Runner so your only will have a buddy they really thrive on each other.

Huh. I guess I was just lucky. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Thanks
My Runners are the most accepting group of ducks. When they were hatched a member wanted some Muscovy and a Runner for company, when they were around 2 months old she brought the Runner back said she was too loud those Runners accepted her back like she had never left . Now they weren’t of breeding age yet and not sure if that would have made any difference but all you can do is introduce and see how it goes if hers become aggressive then of course she’d have to separate but they may just accept her. Never know till you try. My Runners and 2 Buffs that were hatched with them have never even had a spat they are so close to one another. Maybe once you get your run and coop finished you can talk your friend into letting you have another Runner so your only will have a buddy they really thrive on each other.
Well. I guess they're in the house for a while longer. We're gonna wait for Nikki' s head to heal more. I've tried making diapers. Not going well

Back
Top Bottom