Foul "seedy" looking mass inside unfertilized egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1luckyfisherman, Apr 1, 2016.

1. 1luckyfisherman

1luckyfisherman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    I have no roosters and 5 hens. One of my hens (blue copper maran) lays delicious eggs, but on occasion she will lay an egg that has a "seedy" looking mass in the center of the yolk. I eat boiled eggs almost every day and I get one of these eggs once every other week. The smell is awful and I want to try and find out what this is.... I have tried to research it on the web, but havent had any luck. Hoping someone here knows what it is....

Thanks for any replies!

2. AzDeb

AzDeb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    Would that be a Lash egg? Ive never seen them and hope I never do!, just heard about them.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you always boil the eggs?
    Hard boiled?
    Have you ever seen it in a raw egg?

Need to take a pic and post it here....I've never heard of anything like what yo are describing.

4. 1luckyfisherman

1luckyfisherman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Yes, I normally boil them. Found one today that prompted me to post this thread. The "seed" looking mass is always located in the center of the yolk and has a round end and a pointed end, neutral color. It's solid and feels like a piece of wood, but not rock hard. Next time I find one I will take a picture.

Thanks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by