Foul smelling green poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carmel Farmer, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Carmel Farmer

Carmel Farmer New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Hello. I am a new chicken farmer. I incubated and hatched my own chicks. I was feeding them fermented chick starter which was recommended by my brother. They were 7 days old and healthy when I bought 3 more from a hatchery. The guy at the store said I should give them medicated started since these chicks had been exposed to more germs. So I bought the medicated chick starter and fermented it just like I was doing before. However, now one of the chicks has sticky green foul-smelling poo. It is very different from the other normal bird poo which is more formed, whitish and doesn't smell bad. Now I am confused. Is the bird sick because it really did get coccidiosis or some other bug? Or is it sick because I started giving it medicated feed? I don't know if it needs more medicine or less medicine. Like I said, they were totally fine until I picked up the birds from the commercial hatchery and the medicated feed. :(

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Are the new chicks separate or did you put them with the original ones? How is it acting besides the poo? I'm not very familiar with fermented feed, but I'm wondering if maybe it's just a bit stressed right now. When I first got chicks a few were stressed and would get a pasty butt, but after a good cleaning and a little settling it never happened again.

3. Carmel Farmer

Carmel Farmer New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    The chicks are all together and have been for a week. They have settled in nicely together. I do not see signs of stress or pecking. The older ones are now 2 weeks old. This poo is truly foul-smelling and not at all like the other droppings I am seeing.

4. Carmel Farmer

Carmel Farmer New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    I stopped fermenting the food and the birds are doing better. No more weird poo!

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry I kind of abandoned you here. Right around that time I had a pullet get really ill on me and I just kind of lost track. I'm glad things are going better and I hope they continue to go well!

6. Mylani

Mylani Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    I've not heard of fermenting feed. Under no circumstances do you ever want to take a chance of getting mold in your feed, do not wet it. This is extremely toxic and can cause botulism. Really green poo is a sign of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by