found 1 kit on floor... who's is it? help! UPDATED???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by missy_cbell21, May 26, 2010.

1. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I had 2 New Zelands that were due a day after the other. I placed their nest boxes on friday and sat which was day 28. neither had a nest built or any other signs of being ready. today I went out and found one kit on the ground between their cages, I looked everywhere and found no others and then Grandma started building a nest when I gave her extra hay. The kit is very active and still warm and pink but I don't know who's it is. My guess would be Grandma's but I would hate to put it in with her and have it starve. I have the kit in a small box with a fuzzy blanket in my room and the nest box still with both does. This is only going to be our second litter here so I am still worried as I lost 3 from the first litter. If neither have any others should I keep this one in the house? Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: She is done with the 2 and when I checked on them last night I was going to bring them back in but both had very full tummies and were very warm. I was out today feeding the buns about 11 am and she was feeding them the entire time I was out. (atleast 15 min) When she finally hoped out I checked them and the were very full. It looked like they ate to much, is that possible because there are only 2. My other doe has not kindled yet so no options but leave them with moma.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Look at the opening to the vagina on your rabbits. Look on the ground for any signs of blood or other fluids.

3. missy_cbell21

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I found out it was Grandma, she is still in labor. I just found one in the corner of her cage that she was sitting on. It has purple back legs and a full belly. I took it out and have it with the first kit I found. How will I know when she is done? I hate to keep bothering her but this seams like it is taking forever. (I'm sure she feels that way to. lol) but I thought it was supposed to take like 15 min not hours.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    "Normal" deliveries (as if there is anything normal about rabbits!) do take just a few minutes. Some does can seem to take forever. I heard somewhere that English Angoras are notorious for taking up to 2 days to get the whole litter delivered (I don't do English, so I don't have any experience with them). I have had Woolies take the better part of a morning on occasion. There is a shot of a synthetic hormone (Pitocin) that a vet can give; it causes uterine contractions to get things moving if the doe is already in labor but not getting the job done.

You should be able to feel if there are any babies still inside the doe. They are pretty good sized at this point, if they are there, it shouldn't be hard to find them.

5. missy_cbell21

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    Quote:I tried to feel for more and she about bit my hand off:rolleyes: I guess she's not done, she sure looks like it though. She is finally relaxed and was napping last time I checked on her. When I palpated her about 2 weeks ago I thought I only felt 2, never would have thought that was all there really was! She looked huge! All her previous litters with her past owner were averaging 12, wondering if I was sold a cull or if this is just a one time thing?

6. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Any updates? did she just have the 2 kits then? Congratulations on the new additions!

7. missy_cbell21

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    Quote:Thanks!
    Yup she's done and just the 2. The other doe is looking like she will kindle tonight so I'm considering fostering these 2 out to her if her litter is small enough, or maybe just even them out. It's not cold here, it's 68 F now but I am worried that with 2 they will not make it outside all night. Grandma must have been upset at me taking her babies, when I went out too have her feed them she had a HUGE pile of fur in the nest. I left them for now and plan on checking on them in an hour or so and if they are not warm enough I'll bring them back in.

8. missy_cbell21

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    Just bumping this up for the update in first post.

9. missy_cbell21

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    just checked on them and both kits are dead. One I can't tell how it died and the other had poop all over it's lower half and was extremely fat. I am thinking I may have mixed up the rabbits when I bought them. The guy told me that the one would stomp her kits if you touch them before their eyes open. Seams to me like that is what happened here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by