1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found 17 more Sebbie eggs today!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TennesseeTruly, Jan 26, 2011.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My geese are egg laying machines! Hubby went out to feed the geese and found Karessa sitting on 6 eggs, Lil Patty sitting on 5 eggs, Minxy sitting on 6 eggs for a total of 17 NEW Sebbie eggs.

We found 6 eggs under some hay in an unoccupied nest on Saturday and we're unsure who laid those. It could have been Tansy or Petunia. Neither of them have been sitting yet. Eggs, Eggs, Everywhere!!

Laurie

2. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Good thing you don't live in Ontario Canada....or they would be frozen solid [​IMG] but oh so exciting to hear. I want wait for warmer weather and eggs from my geese and ducks. Right now the ducks and chickens are the only ones laying...but nothing is fertile

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Wish you were in Northern California, I would be stocking your geese [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Laurie , your names are a whoot. I love em. Congrats on the egg laying and is it still cold there?

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Laurie, Your geese are well ahead of mine and I live below you...Whats up with that !! LOL I did get my 1st sebbie egg today, but I am glad they waited this long before getting started. I guess you will have sebbies running everywhere. [​IMG] When do you expect some goslings ?

6. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Our temps have been in the 40's and 50's. It was up near 60 the other day! I was outside in shorts! Felt good, let me tell you!

Steve, I have no idea why they're laying so early. We've done nothing differently than we've before yet they're all laying like crazy!

We're expecting our first hatch between Feb 9th-12th. We had 2 quitters today which is always sad but that's how things go sometimes.

Laurie

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Send those babies down here! [​IMG]

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Hope you have successful hatches. After tonight we have a nice forecast for several days [​IMG]

The first year I had my sebbies they started laying in Nov(and they were only 8 months old) and nothing was fertile [​IMG] . I think the males just were not old enough though. Thankfully, ever since then they have been more on track laying later in the season(Jan-Feb). I have a dusk-til-dawn light in the center of my yard(it was there before I got back into poultry) and I first thought that was the reason, but I guess not because nothing has changed.

9. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    There's no artificial lighting outside here so that can't be the case why they're laying here. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Not a thing has changed from last year but this year they started laying early.

In total I think we've collected about 40 eggs so far. Then we've left some with some of the geese to hatch out.

But my Indian Runners aren't laying. What's up with that? Darn things! I have orders out the wazoo and no eggs from them!

Laurie

10. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Aren't you lucky! [​IMG] I can't wait until our sebastopols start laying eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by