Found 2 eggs ~ don't know who laid them...opinions pls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknhawaii, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I have absolutely NO idea who laid these 2 eggs...the assumption would be our Cornish X since she's the older one at a week over 4 months old however with everyone saying it's RARE for them to lay, then it would have to be my RSLs who are about 2-1/2 months old!

Anyone have an opinion? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i think about the youngest i've heard of a hen laying is about four months. i think the most likely culprit is your cornish x.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am thinking it would about have to be the cornish X. Several people seem to have chickens laying really early lately, but 2 1/2 months is really pushing it!!! Plus, those seem really light to belong to a red sex link...mine are almost the same color as my RIR.

4. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    WOW that was quick! TY for responding. My brain just could not comprehend that there were eggs already...for any of them! RSL eggs must be really pretty. [​IMG]

Can we eat these first eggs?

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

u should do a cool experimant and fertalixe the eggs ( introduce a roo to your cornish X) and she what you can hatch.. since cornish cross usually dont live long enough to lay and produce! SOO COOL! they look kinda big too!

6. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I think your younger girls are just too young to lay yet.

It's gotta be your Cornish X - mine lays regularly every other day. The eggs look similar:
    [​IMG]

7. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    COOL! TY for posting that pic and the fact that yours lays every other day!

Chick-Chick (for sure this time) laid another egg - but it was ROUND, thought it was a ping pong ball - late last night but unlike her first 2, this one had a really soft shell and at some point, it either broke or she kicked it around or sat on it. Smashed. Good thing it wasn't fertilized, I would've been devastated...

8. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Don't worry about the round, soft egg - Lucille's first egg was very soft-shelled and broke before we could even collect it. Sometimes it takes their bodies a few tries to get the egg-laying thing just right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by