found 2 of my rhode island reds with bleeding wounds on rearend

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PITT CHICK, Sep 24, 2010.

1. PITT CHICK

PITT CHICK New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    I'm so excited to have found this form. I'm new to raising backyard chickens and, everything has been going fine until today. I have 11 chickens that I purchased in the spring who have been laying eggs for several months now. When I went to feed and water them this evening I noticed 2 of my chickens were bleeding from their upper back near anus/vent. Being a nurse I quickley got a sray bottle with peroxide and cleaned their wounds. They all are used to me picking them up so it was no problem, but I dont know what has caused ths wounds. I didn't see any fighting and I thought they were all friendly to each other. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are there any roos?

3. PITT CHICK

PITT CHICK New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    No. I did have a rooster,but I did remove him from the group as soon as I discovered Georgette was a George.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] from NH. You should post in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section. There is a posted sticky at the top of the section that will have you answer a series of questions to help in IDing what the problem could be. You may also want to check out the Predators and Pests section, although it's a section not for the faint of heart, so be prepared. Bleeding wounds in the location you posted makes me think you may a predator or pest at work.
    Good luck.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson! Good luck with your birds, I hope you find answers quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by