found 4 week old chick dead this morning, lice mites all over chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueseal, Jul 20, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    went to feed my flock and found 1 of my 4 week olds dead with red specks look like wood mites . have a lice and mite problem all of a sudden. have 3 four week olds in a seperate boxed off corner in coop. and another set of 3 , 3week olds. and a broody with her 6, 2 week olds. all seperated in there own corner. my older flock seems to have lice and now looks like the chicks have it. i treated coop saturday for mites sprayed the coop down with bleach water. also used insect killer spray on all the walls and roosts nestboxes. i sprayed all the 1 yr old birds with poultry protector. found out its a protector from lice and mites after i treat with a poultry dust . so i got to find a dust to really cure the lice and mites problem.

2. Rohnasmom

Rohnasmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    Bradford County .Pa.
    Try diatomatious earth food grade, its safe and should help. NOw you have me itchy!!!![​IMG]

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    IMO, if you have a bad outbreak you need to use more than just DE. I would use "Seven" and dust every chicken/chick, and their bedding. The chickens and chicks can start dying off quickly if they are really infested. Use DE as a preventative once you have taken care of this infestation.

4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:where do i get the food grade brand iv called everywhere cant find any.

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Love my Critters! :

IMO, if you have a bad outbreak you need to use more than just DE. I would use "Seven" and dust every chicken/chick, and their bedding. The chickens and chicks can start dying off quickly if they are really infested. Use DE as a preventative once you have taken care of this infestation.

if i use seven dust can i still eat the eggs or do i have to wait a few weeks. thought i heard wait 2 weeks before eating eggs if you treat with seven . any help.​

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I totally agree with Love My Critters! DE may not kill all the mites. You've already lost one chick. Save yourself money and get the big guns, sevin dust. You can eat the eggs after dusting.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  7. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:thanks for the reply . is sevin dust for chickens only and where can i find it.

8. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    You can find it in the garden section of Walmart, or probably at your farmer's coop . Make sure you get the dust and not the spray. It also works in your garden to kill bugs.

9. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i bought prozap poultry dust. i cleaned out the coop, sprinkled it all over the floor roosts bedding treated the birds. nestboxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by