found 4 week old chick dead this morning, lice mites all over chick

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
went to feed my flock and found 1 of my 4 week olds dead with red specks look like wood mites . have a lice and mite problem all of a sudden. have 3 four week olds in a seperate boxed off corner in coop. and another set of 3 , 3week olds. and a broody with her 6, 2 week olds. all seperated in there own corner. my older flock seems to have lice and now looks like the chicks have it. i treated coop saturday for mites sprayed the coop down with bleach water. also used insect killer spray on all the walls and roosts nestboxes. i sprayed all the 1 yr old birds with poultry protector. found out its a protector from lice and mites after i treat with a poultry dust . so i got to find a dust to really cure the lice and mites problem.

Try diatomatious earth food grade, its safe and should help. NOw you have me itchy!!!!
barnie.gif

IMO, if you have a bad outbreak you need to use more than just DE. I would use "Seven" and dust every chicken/chick, and their bedding. The chickens and chicks can start dying off quickly if they are really infested. Use DE as a preventative once you have taken care of this infestation.

Love my Critters! :

IMO, if you have a bad outbreak you need to use more than just DE. I would use "Seven" and dust every chicken/chick, and their bedding. The chickens and chicks can start dying off quickly if they are really infested. Use DE as a preventative once you have taken care of this infestation.

if i use seven dust can i still eat the eggs or do i have to wait a few weeks. thought i heard wait 2 weeks before eating eggs if you treat with seven . any help.​

I totally agree with Love My Critters! DE may not kill all the mites. You've already lost one chick. Save yourself money and get the big guns, sevin dust. You can eat the eggs after dusting.

Last edited:
You can find it in the garden section of Walmart, or probably at your farmer's coop . Make sure you get the dust and not the spray. It also works in your garden to kill bugs.

i bought prozap poultry dust. i cleaned out the coop, sprinkled it all over the floor roosts bedding treated the birds. nestboxes.

Back
Top Bottom