Found 5 kittens.....mommy got hit by a car

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lnm03, Jul 20, 2010.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    I found five abandoned kittens on the road by their mother who had gotten hit by a car. I believe they are in the neighborhood of 4 - 5 weeks old. They are super cute. I dont really know what to do with them.......they were dirty and hungry so I cleaned them up and put them in a large dog crate with moistened dry cat food, water and dry cat food, a towel and a litter box. They are eating and drinking ok using the litter box.....a little scared when we go to the cage to see them...they hiss but once we get them out theyre fine.....love to be held.....

Am I doing everything right? do I need to do anything different? I dont want to keep them but I thought if I got them cleaned up and use to people I would have a better chance of getting rid of them......I am planning on keeping one but I cant keep all 5.

[​IMG]

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That is so nice of you! Yes, they will have a better chance of getting adopted if they are clean and people friendly. At this age they should settle down pretty quick.
    I would use a kitten food for them. I don't like the soft dry foods. It usually has alot of fructos in it to make it soft. If you have goats, fresh goat milk would be great for them. Just limit the amount and add probios so they don't get the runs. My barn cats get goats milk everyday and they are very healthy.

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    oh so cute! I wish you were closer...I would take two of them...I don't have a kitty at this point but have been looking around a little...best cat I ever had was a rescued calico...she was over ten when my GSP caught her and broke her back...we had to euthanize her...have not had a cat since but baby sat my son's big fat black cat he shipped back from Europe along with his GSP when he rotated back to the states...I had them two weeks before he and his wife arrived for a month's leave before moving on to Texas...loved that cat...she was such a layed back character...

4. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    You are doing everything just perfect! So glad you rescued them. Like Skyesrocket said, I would get kitten food. Kitten chow is usually inexpensive. The more you hold them, the more tame they will get. If you need to clean them up anymore, you can use baby shampoo to clean their eyes, etc. Also, if you have a problem with fleas, you can wash them in Dawn dish detergeant. just dilute it with water. I don't know how long you plan to keep them before you find them homes, so this may not be an issue. I found a kitten last year on the side of the road, and another one this year, so now we have 4 cats! [​IMG]

5. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    awww, they are so cute! I wish you were closer, i would take one in a heartbeat! Also, I think you are doing everything just right, youre right that they will have a better chance of finding homes if they are clean and friendly, they will get tamer and calmer the more you handle them. The only thing i would do differently is, like somebody said, i would get a kitten food for them, also if you havent already taken them to a vet, i would do that to make sure theyre healthy and get theyre shots and stuff and potentially spay/neuter them when theyre old enough, other than that i think you are doing everything perfectly, they are adorable and that is such a nice thing you are doing by taking them in, thank you for taking them in, im sure they appreciate it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Well I got them on kitten food and they are starting to welcome us to getting them out instead of hissing at us all the time! They are doing terriffic with the litter box. Whats the best way to get rid of them? I want them to go to a good home and Im willing to give them away unless I end up taking them to the vet then I would like to get my vet costs back. I dont really let them run around my house yet. I have a 8 month old 60 pound boxer and he wants to play with them and I am afraid he will hurt them. They do really well in their cage but we get them out and hold them and play with them several times a day. Honestly I have a hard time keeping the kids (7, 6 & 3) away from them. But they're doing great!!!!

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    If you were closer I would take one - but I live in Iowa. My 20 year old is looking for a tortise shell kitten that has a special story.

8. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    [​IMG] Perhaps I misunderstood one of the posts about the orphaned kittens, but please DON't clean their EYES with baby shampoo. Don't put anything in their eyes that you wouldn't put in yours; corneal tissue is all the same... Even "tearless" baby shampoo is too harsh for deliberate use in eyes.

Dishwashing detergent will strip all the oils from their skin. This will create dry, itchy, irritated flaky skin that will be more prone to fungal and bacterial infections--which will be more likely because of their scratching. Dishwashing detergent is okay in an emergency to get oily fluids off them, which would injure them via chemical burns or toxicity.

9. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    If there is a local vet office that would let you put up a flier, this is a good way to find nice homes. Also, delivering the kittens to their new homes insures that the new owners are not mis-representing themselves. Good luck, they are adorable!

10. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    You are doing a good thing, taking in these kittens. From the picture, I'd guess you are correct on the age - probably around 4 weeks. Getting them friendly is the best thing you can do - holding them, feeding them by hand can help. Also, playing music in where they are and letting them hear the sounds of a normal household is good to help keep them from being skittish. It is really hard to adopt out a cat that people can't touch and hold (take the word of a long time cat rescuer!).
    I agree with a previous poster - don't use dishwashing detergent. If they have fleas, I would flea comb them, then keep them in an area where they can clean themselves. I believe you might be able to use something like Advantage for the kittens (not sure on the age limits) but if they can get flea free, and kept in a flea free area - you should be fine.
    One thing I would highly recommend is getting them to the vet so you can get some worming medication. Most kittens in this situation have worms and need doses of Strongid to get rid of them. If you don't, it is likely that they will develop diarrhea and have a hard time gaining weight.
    I would also try to get the highest quality kitten food you can - it can make a big difference in their health.
    Many cities have low cost spay & neuter clinics, and rescue groups that can potentially help find you low cost care for them.
    Good for you for taking them in - you've saved their lives. They are adorable - best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by