Found a baby rabbit

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
My friend called me before and told me she ran over a rabbit nest with her lawnmower mother rabbit in all. I have one baby bunny who I'm feeding kitten milk replacer. His eyes are open, his ears are open, and he can run around if he wants to. He will not accept the milk replacer but I'm been slowly forcing little by little until he took around a couple cc's. I have a kitten bottle and a little syringe. He is currently in a shoe box under a heat lamp and he burrowed under the wood shavings and is sleeping. I put some greens and rabbit pellets for him to nibble on if he feels better. He probably afraid of people so I'm leaving him be. Any ideas on how to get him to accept the formula?

21337_bunny.jpg

His eyes are fully open but he was half asleep. Keep him in your prayers everyone!

Okay I just had him out and he wasn't doing anything really just sitting there. Then I tried making little chittering noises and he instantly responded. He came right up to my mouth and was sniffing me and then he was cuddled up by my neck. I then fed him for the second time today and now I will let him sleep. I hope he makes it. His name is Lucky.

Fortunately one of my best friends is a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and she wrote me the necessary paperwork to foster him. She is a great friend haha.

I fostered baby bunnies and I fed them every three hours. He looks old enough to possibly be eating on his own. If his stomach is wrinkly, he's dehydrated.

I saved five of the six I found, the dogs got the one when it jumped out of their nest.

I went on vacation and my husband managed to kill them all!
sad.png
For three weeks I got up every three hours and fed them. Never again, lol.

Only feed the rabbit twice a day. We found a nest of baby rabbits in our garden a few months back. They were very newly born, all naked and their eyes weren't open yet. We fed them every hour or so, and we thought we're doing SUCH a good job. Then they just started dying. They were almost two weeks old, had all their fur and their eyes were open and everything. We researched a little bit and found out that you weren't supposed to feed them but 1-2 a day. And after they eat you need to kind of rub their tummies. The momma rabbit would lick them all over after she fed them, so you need to do that. We have several Jersey milkcows, so every morning when we milked Bossy we'd give the baby rabbits fresh warm milk.
We also made them a nest full or cotton/hay and all sorts of very soft things. When you make the nests be sure when you put the bunny in there you cover him up. Don't suficate (sp?) them, but just put a soft layer over the top of him so he can stay nice and warm. Sorry, I'm not much help but just thought I'd share our little bunny adventure.

Good luck on your bunny.
hugs.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

My info was from a wildlife rehab-er.

What happens often is that people drown their bunnies hand feeding because they asphyxiate very easily.

This link's info is nearly identical to what I was told.

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm They also rec. the 3-4 hour window.

It's important not to force feed them. They will stop when they are done. My buns had distinctively enough markings I could tell them apart, so that helped when I knew that some ate more than others and to just spend more time with them.

Feeding baby rabbits is by far the most FRUSTRATING thing I've ever attempted in my life. Patience is a must.

Back
Top Bottom