Found a Baby Squirrel -thinks it's a kitten! Updated pics:)

flgardengirl

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny side up :)
A few weeks ago we had an afternoon storm that blew a few tree limbs down and knocked over several of my large flower pots. I went outside afterwards to right the pots and water some things that didn't get rained on due to being knocked over from the wind. I squirtted the hose near some cactus plants and heard a high pitched squeak. I went over to investigate and found a tiny baby squirrel had fallen from a nest in a live oak tree. I checked it for injuries and left it where it was so the mother would come back and get him. Around dark the baby was still there and so was the nieghbor's old tom cat. I decided I better take the baby inside before he became dinner. We have lots of other predators around here besides the tomcat too.

So I get him inside and look up what to do with him on the internet. It said they need a special diet and cannot tolerate cow's milk. What to do? I came across an old news article that showed a baby squirrel nursing a momma cat and he did well. Hmmm well it just so happens that a month ago someone dropped off 2 pregnant cats in our nieghborhood that found thier way to our house ( we live outside of the city where people have horses, goats, etc so I guess people think this is the pet dumping grounds).

Anyhow, these things must happen for a reason...I gave the squirrel to one of the momma cats and watched very carefully to see if the mother would accept the squirrel. She started licking him right away and nursed him just like one of her kittens. She has treated him just like her babies for the last few weeks. Luckily, FL is one of the few states where it is legal to have a squirrel for a pet but I am hoping he can be released into the wild when he is older. Right now I am learning all I can to take care of him until then.

This pic was taken last week. He is much bigger now and has his eyes open now!

45258_100_8678.jpg

Last edited:
aaawwww! Very cute. when i lived in florida we would always find baby squirrels. I remember one time after a bad storm we found five on the ground. I almost didnt see the first one but luckily i did because i was riding my bike and almost ran over the poor thing. Cant wait to see updated pics!

Great Story!
Great Pic!
... would love to see updates as babies grow
smile.png

Raised a few squirrel babies over the years. Had good luck with releasing them. Many would hang around for months to years and come down for treats.

All time favorite... "stew meat" what a character! After he/she was released, he would meet the kids as they got off the school bus for a few years.

Last edited:
I have one now, that just opened his eyes the beginning of the week. My cat brought him home, no injuries, but 4 prick like red marks where she carried him. I gave antibiotics, as cat saliva can be deadly to them... I think if punctures the skin..... and gave him mixed powdered kitten milk. I've had him for a few weeks, lucky you, that you had a nursing cat to do it. They are so sweet looking, but I try not to talk around him or give too much attention as I plan on letting him go at a friends house w/ no cats near by..... Where are you in FL? It would be so nice if they had friends when they were released.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom