Found a beautiful rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lionpainter, Jan 14, 2013.

1. lionpainter

lionpainter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Wake County NC
    Hi! Well of all things, we found a big beautiful rooster in our health club's parking lot. Nothing but hospitals, and the health complex there. We asked around worried for him, and no one knew how he arrived there. Long story short, he is in good health and looks cared for...but was a bit panicky. We keep dog crates in our van for carting our pups to the local park, so we were able to herd him into it. We stopped by a neighbor who had some chickens at one time and they gave us some food for him and told us how to care for him until we could ask friends that have a farm whether they would, could adopt him. (Turns out that they can't take him). We will be posting "found" signs in that area tomorrow. We have large dogs and so it would probably be a bad idea to try to adopt him ourselves. He was VERY hungry and thirsty so he was likely abandoned or an escapee from somewhere. When he got into the crate, (it is huge) he settled in and sat down calmly. I do not know his disposition. I can only say he "feels" like he's grateful. Anyway...we need help. I want to help him find a safe happy home. He is too beautiful to be someone's snack or dinner. Any advice? No...not going to be slaughtered, so if that is your answer, please do not answer! :) thanks for any help you can provide us.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi there, I'm so glad you were able to rescue him. If you post some photos here, it should be possible to determine his breed. This may well help find a home for him, say if someone is looking for a particular breed to try. You could then post here, Craigs List etc that he would be free to a good home. I guess you'd just have to take people's word for it that he wasn't destined for the pot.

Or you could get him 2 or 3 hens for company. Warning: chickens are addictive. You might need to build a coop and permanent run that the dogs couldn't get into. Chickens don't like to be alone, that's for sure.

Good luck!

4. lionpainter

Jan 14, 2013
    Wake County NC
    Thanks- I'm trying to figure out how to put up his photo.

5. lionpainter

Jan 14, 2013
    Wake County NC
    Thanks! I'm trying to figure out where to attach his photo. How high can they fly, jump? He went into the crate for the rescue, but if we let him out into the fenced area, Getting him back in might be tricky. The dogs (Irish Setters) know he's in the garage - by smell I guess - because they haven't "seen" him. I don't know if he's aggressive...but he is surely big! :)

6. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    This might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

Some breeds are more likely and keen to fly than others. Depends on how big and sturdy he is too. I have one who easily flies up 2m, about 6 feet, so I clip her wing to stop her getting over fences.

He will be motivated by food. I guess you don't know what his favourite is yet.... Mine will do anything for a scratch made of cracked corn and wheat, so I call them into the run each evening with that. You could try him of any kind of greens, fruit and vegetables chooped up. Or just a bowl of the food you have for him. He's probably heard the calls for chickens where he came from, so try calling chok chook chook to him as you show him the food, then see if he will follow you. That way he might just follow you to where you lock him in. Or you might be able to just pick him up and carry him in.

Let us know how you get on!

1 person likes this.
  7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!!! :)

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Any petting zoos in in your area?

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Good luck at finding a home for him.

10. lionpainter

Jan 14, 2013
    Wake County NC
    Got a call from a lady in farm area of Rocky Mount NC.She said she has a big farm and one rooster that is free range, but she has a barn for shelter. She said she was just telling her husband a day or so before that she thought her single rooster seemed lonely. She only has one and no hens. She asked if we would bring him to her farm and we could see if they get along.

We're going to drive him out there in a couple hours. I specifically said he needs to be a pet and not 'food'. She agreed. We'll see if she is a noble being and I'll let you know by evening. Thanks and have a great day! ( he didn't crow this morning because we had him covered in a crate in the garage. When I peeked in and hand fed him, he did a bawking sound and then ate. So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by