Found a broody hen and eggs

Sep 28, 2020
I thought one of my chickens had gone missing but today I saw her so I followed her and found that she had a nest in the goat barn with 17eggs and she was broody! I moved her an the eggs to a safer location and she has stayed broody so I’m hoping to hatch some chicks for the first time?

Questions:
1. I’m pretty certain all 17 eggs are hers, all my other chickens have been laying in the nest boxes. Does that mean that some were probably laid before she got broody and won’t hatch?

2.She’s been “missing” for about two weeks. Does that mean I should be seeing chicks hatch here in another week or so?

3. I know 17 eggs is probably a lot for her. I have another broody hen, should I split the eggs between the two?

I thought one of my chickens had gone missing but today I saw her so I followed her and found that she had a nest in the goat barn with 17eggs and she was broody! I moved her an the eggs to a safer location and she has stayed broody so I’m hoping to hatch some chicks for the first time?

Questions:
1. I’m pretty certain all 17 eggs are hers, all my other chickens have been laying in the nest boxes. Does that mean that some were probably laid before she got broody and won’t hatch?

2.She’s been “missing” for about two weeks. Does that mean I should be seeing chicks hatch here in another week or so?

3. I know 17 eggs is probably a lot for her. I have another broody hen, should I split the eggs between the two?
1. Yes they were probably layed a little before but that doesn’t mean that they won’t hatch.
2. At the earliest yes
3. You can split. The hen should take them nicely.

PPLLEEAASSEE!!! keep us up to date on this adventure. Inquiring minds need to know- Did they hatch? How good were the broodies? Who's the Daddy? What are you going to do with sixteen more chickens?!

Back
Top Bottom