Found a broody hen with chicks and eggs

Ash8207

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
One of our hens went missing a few weeks ago. She was found today by our neighbor, sitting on eggs with baby chicks. Her nesting area was out in the open and a fox had been seen the day before so we know we had to move her and the eggs.
We got a crate, with a soft bottom and placed hay for a new nest. She was not very friendly so we just moved quickly with getting her off of the chicks and into the crate.
We moved the chicks in with her. There was also a chick that was just hatched, one egg that was in process of hatching (hole where beak was coming through) and one egg that was not hatched; along with 7 chicks.
My fear is the one that was just hatched became separated from the yolk and egg shell during transport, momma hen attacked when placing it back under her, will die. And my fear is the one in process of hatching and non hatched one have been tampered with will die. How long does it take for a chick to come out?
We have never had hatchlings before, our hens have never been broody. We have a second hen MIA so I am thinking she has a pile of chicks somewhere too! We have a nice set up currently inside. Hen seems happy and the little chicks are coming out from underneath her checking things out. I have not been able to check on the newly hatched chick, dont want to disturb the hen.....she is not friendly lol
Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Best to not disturb her as in her attempts to protect the chicks she may inadvertently injure them. Hopefully the outcome for the last two chicks will be good, but if not at least she has 7 healthy chicks. Good luck with them.

Sourland, we did not want to disturber her and had no idea what we were going to find. But her spot was not a safe one, especially with a fox sighting the day before. We have lost too many hens to foxes.
Thanks!

I understand that - just meant to leave her alone until tomorrow, and hopefully the last two will survive. You did what you had to do to protect her and the chicks.

Thanks, yes I plan on just letting her be for now. She growls at us every time we come near. I cannot see what is happening underneath her but most of the little ones keep popping out from under her to check things out! They are so cute. We are still amazed by all of this! Had chickens for 2 years but never had any go broody on us! And this hen was never "tame", since we have her inside with the chicks how long should we keep her with them??? The area is open and she flies.....we will have a hard time catching her!

We had the EXACT SAME THING happen our first time. And I did the EXACT same as u. It was all fine. Have now had 5 broody hatches and all is great. I use the dog cage each time for the first week and half to 2 weeks. Mom will let u know when she is ready to get out. Make sure to change to chick food.
I would maybe wait until tomorrow to check the other egg and chick. But ur doing great.

Thanks scmcdermott! I am using a dog crate that has a dog pen attached to it. The chick that just hatched made it! The chick that was trying to hatch did not :( she has one more egg in her "nest" It has a tiny spot where it appears a chick is starting to come through, I felt movement inside the egg so I hope it makes it!!
I am still in shock! We had actually just gone to the feed store and purchased some chicks.....ooops. 6 barred rocks from feed store. And she has 11 chicks! She is a bantam and I think 2 off the chicks came from our easter egger. We are not sure what our Roo is, we just got him about 2 months ago from a neighboring cities animal control. He was terrorizing a neighborhood along with a hen lol But he has been the sweetest Roo we have ever had. I think he is a bantam of some sort

Awwwww think of it this way, approximately half of this hatch will roos. So unless you want that many, you will be getting rid of some.
1f606.png

Last week I had a chick take just over 24 hrs to hatch after it's first pip.

Lol no, 1 Roo is enough!

The one egg that is left she has stopped sitting on it. It did feel movement when I checked on it a couple hours ago with one little mark on the shell. Should I leave it? Help it?

Back
Top Bottom