Found a chick, don't know what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Birkfarm, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Birkfarm

Birkfarm New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    I've been trying to figure out what breed this chick is, but have no clue. A friend found her on the side of the road and gave her to us. Can anyone identify her?
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Maybe an australorp?

3. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Yes it could be an Australorp or maybe an Orpington. That's strange that it was on the side on the road, its not hurt or anything?

4. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    poor baby! at least it has a home now! [​IMG]

5. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    it probably just got done crossing it.....

badda bing! [​IMG]

6. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    i got one jus like that from orschelns and was wondering the same thing... It was in a bin called pan fry special and they had no clue.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Does it have a darker stripe down the back? If it does maybe Silver laced Wyandotte. From this pic looks like Australorp.Glad your friend found it and brought it to you.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    If you don't have any other chicks, make sure and give her a stuffed animal to snuggle up with. You need to hang a light bulb above the brooder where she can get some heat. Make sure it is around 95 degrees and leave enough space in the brooder for her to get away from the light if she is too warm. Make sure she has some water and chick starter crumble. You might try giving her a little boiled egg yolk too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Birkfarm

Birkfarm New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    She seems to be just fine, although really young! I'm not too familiar with raising baby chicks, the youngest I've gotten have been a month old. So this should be fun. I made a brooder for her with an light to keep her warm and have chick starter and water in there for her. I tried looking for a stuffed animal but can't seem to find one for her, so I'll have to go get one. I was thinking she might be an astralorp, but not sure. She's got beautiful colors, black and yellow. Can't really tell if she's got a darker stripe down the middle. Doesn't look like it. Maybe as she gets older it'll be easier to tell. Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

10. Birkfarm

Birkfarm New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    So an update.... still not sure what breed this chicken is. Although now that he's older we know that he's a rooster. He's got beautiful colors! Brown and iridescent green. He's got white spots on his underside and a solid white feather under his wing. Anybody know what he is now?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by