Found a chicken.. not sure if male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karisu, Sep 22, 2011.

1. karisu

karisu New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    Recently a chicken has wandered its way to our office. Very odd sight! We don't see chickens running around here in the suburbs very often.. I expected it to wander on, but a couple days later it was still here so I caught it. We've grown rather fond of it and I've taken an interest in building a coop and raising it at home, but I can't tell if its a boy or girl! It's very quiet and seems to be used to being handled by humans. I've had it in a bird cage for two days now and it hasn't crowed or anything, but no eggs either. I'd like to find out if its a girl before investing in building a coop! If you could help me tell from this picture that would be great.

[​IMG]

Although I've done so much reading and research now I'm considering just building the coop anyways and buying a few hens even if this one is a boy. Life is exciting [​IMG]

Thanks!

- Gary

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Rooster.

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    good looking young roo

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Looks like a Red Sex Link roo.

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also saying a Handsome Roo....

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi and welcome! Getting chickens could be the most entertaining thing you could do. As for the first one you have there in the pic? It's a Red Star rooster [​IMG] He'll need about 10 hens....if possible. I know some people have roos with less hens but generally it's good to have 10 or more for each roo.
    Good luck [​IMG]

8. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    Roo. Get him some nice pullets!

9. karisu

karisu New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies!

A little sad though, wish it was a hen. I'm not sure what to do with this one now. I don't think I would want to raise chicks in the future (wouldn't know what to do with those either), and I doubt my neighbors would appreciate a crowing chicken in the morning if it does start crowing.

Guess I could give it to a friend who raises chickens.. although they'll probably eat it. Or I could set it free but then it'll still probably get eaten. Sad life. [​IMG]

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Where you live do they allow roosters? If not, do they allow hens? Also, you will not get chicks if the eggs are collected every day. Fertile eggs need about 100 degrees for a few days to start developing.Lots of people have small flocks with a roo and don't let the hens hatch any. You just have to be sure to remove all the eggs daily.
    If you decide to get rid of the roo and get some hens, I think you would be happy with them. This website is a great source for info on breeds that would work well for your situation and climate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by