Found a dead chick today :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flux, Mar 1, 2012.

1. flux

flux Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Tennessee
    This morning I went to check on my chicks, all about a week old, and found one of my speckled sussexs feet up in the waterer, dead. :(( My flock is in with a standard chick waterer that we bought from the hatcher, so if it met its demise by drowning, I'm not sure how it managed that, unless it toppled over in its sleep and didnt wake up. There was no cause of concern from illness as this bird seemed healthy, and the rest of the flock is active and doing fine. Is there anything I should check for besides the usual to ensure the rest of my birdies survive?

Thanks in advance!

2. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    What's a "standard waterer?"
    I use a small plastic round tray with the screw on canning jar for my little guys and it appears that there is no chance of drowning with that.
    Cheap at the feed store.

3. flux

flux Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Tennessee
    Sounds the same concept of mine. Plastic, bottle screws into the dish, pretty shallow. Looks like what they sell at my local feed store. That's why I have no idea how it ended up in the dish.

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    fill the water area with marbles they will still be able to drink but wont drown if they fall asleep in the water.

5. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    YEs!
    That's how I watered mine too. Little pebbles or marbles or both.
    Great advice, I forgot about that part.

6. flux

flux Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Tennessee
    Alrighty, thanks for the tip. I've seen waterers on here with marbles, but I stupidly figured it was more suitable for younger chicks...experience is the best (and harshest) teacher, I guess :(

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Don't beat yourself up about this - we live and learn - I have learned the hard way too - one drowned in my duck water container - smooth sided and could not get out..and another drowned by being picked up and tossed into a bucket of detergent by a duck! I felt so guilty for being remiss but it does happen! marbles/ pebbles are great but we need to be ever vigilant for the potential hazards that they face.

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by