Found a dead chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Feb 29, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    When I returned from my travels today I found a check feet in the air and dead. It looked yesterday that it stopped preening its feathers and was just sitting on the roost. It did run to the feed trough this morning at feeding time so I didn't give another thought. Guess I should have given it more attention. Do you folks have any ideas on what caused it's death. John

2. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    How old was it?

How many do you have?

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    what was the weather like were your at?

4. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Where my better half is
    John, Do you have feed out 24/7? If so, it could be any number of reasons. I agree with the other posts.. is it warm enough and how old are they? Have you checked for pasty bum?

5. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Depending on wether it was very young or older depends on its cause of death. i would agree with the other posts if it was very young. first thing is a pasty butt, they wont act very wierd really they will pretty much just die. another thing is mabe your temp is messed up? if he/she was smaller they would need more heat to keep warm mabe it froze to death. Its hard to pinpoint the cause of death there are many diseases that are picked up when they are young. i would recomend doing a complete cleanout of the brooder (change food,water,bedding) and check all of them for a pasty butt. also watch their behavior to see if they are comfortable with the temp.

Hope this helps

Mitch

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Chicks are 3 weeks old. Temps are staying from 80- 83. No pasty butt. The first week there where 2-3 that had that problem and I cleaned it as soon as I seen it. None since. 14 total now all doing well and very active. I clean out the whole brooder from top to bottom every other day. There is always clean food and water. Brooder is 4'x4' with draft stop around it's circumference. No one handles them, feeds them, or cleans but me. I just don't see how it could be a sanitary issue, much more stable and clean environment then the out of doors. Sorry I didn't include all this info in the original post. Thanks for all your help. A person couldn't dream of such a great bunch of knowledgeable people. John

7. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    We have 16 3 week old chicks (2 each of 8 varieties). Both of the buff orpingtons appear to be the slowest and least active of the birds. One in particular has been the slowest and least active chick from day one.

DW and I have been worried about the chick, but it seems healthy. I'm not convinced that 'slow' by itself is an indicator of anything, but your post has me worried. If anyone has suggestions on things to do, they would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  8. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Yup, my BO's are the same way -- they are the lazy ones of the bunch. although i have had no problem with them pasting up. My RIR's have been terrible though. yesterday I had to sit there for about an hour cleaning one it was so bad. they are eating the most and obviously pooping alot. John mabe its not a sanitary problem, your probabally doing nothing wrong. Its just sometimes there are sick ones from the birth and really nothing to do to prevent it. But im glad they are all doing well and hope it stays that way.

9. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

10. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by