Found a dying Blue Jay in my yard where my chicks forage...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MydearWatson, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I hope this is in the correct section...

I found a dying Blue Jay right where my chickens love to hang out when I let them out of the coop. After a few hours he died and I buried him. He didnt have outward signs of being injured but Im taking a guess he flew into a window. Other than his head looking wet, his feathers looked healthy, if he was sick, he hadn't been sick long. Anyway, now I am nervous about letting my chickens freerange in case he was sick. What are the chances they could get ill from being in the same general area as a dying bird? Any advice would be really great! My babies are 19 weeks if that makes a difference...

2. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    I don't have a clue. But I wanted to 'bump' you to the top so that someone who DOES know can help. Good luck!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no point worrying about it.
    There's nothing you could do anyway

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Not to alarm you but that Jay may have had West Nile Virus. They are the most affected by that. But here is the good news,chickens are virtually immune to it. If an infected mosquito bites a chicken they quickly develop antibodies to fight it having no ill effects. I happen to read up on it after as I was helping a friend get set up in the chicken madness. The question came up if they could get it and I had no idea. Chickens are actually used as "sentry birds" as in which blood is drawn from them in areas suspected of WNV. If they have the antibodies they alert the public. So not to worry.

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    dont worry about it the chickens will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by