Found a farm that offers chicks for sale...take a look.

Flyboy718

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
They offer:

Black copper maran
blue maran

barred rock
dominecker
golden lace wyndotte

All chicks are $5 a piece...is this a good price for these breeds? I live in North Louisiana and it gets real cold and real hot...I also want good egg layers. Put them in order of best to worst if you like.

if these are all newly hatched chicks- $5 is a bit steep.

I am in SW Missouri and chicks of those breeds run from $0.75 to $3

Barred Rocks are pretty hardy birds, It gets really cold and really hot here too and my girls do just fine. I have never had any of the other birds before though.

Edited to add

Are they straight run or sexed?

and just to clarify I can get 5 month old pullets for $6 each that are laying.

Last edited:
Agree with the price being a little high. But if they are local to you and you can pick them up you will save in shipping costs. Also, they might have a better chance of survival if you pick them up rather than ship them.

It MAY be that those prices reflect a higher quality, better bred stock of chick, as well. Yes, compared to feed stores "chick days", those prices are high. For breed standard or heritage fowl? Those prices are good. It just depends. It would take a sharp eye, an educated eye looking at the parent stock or a known good reputation. Otherwise, one would merely be overpaying for run of the mill stock.

Fred's Hens :

It MAY be that those prices reflect a higher quality, better bred stock of chick, as well. Yes, compared to feed stores "chick days", those prices are high. For breed standard or heritage fowl? Those prices are good. It just depends. It would take a sharp eye, an educated eye looking at the parent stock or a known good reputation. Otherwise, one would merely be overpaying for run of the mill stock.

X2

We sell our day old common breed chicks for $2.00 each and add a dollar per week up to the first month.

Our rare breed and quality breeder stock chicks start at $5.00 per chick and go up.

We have a couple of breeds that I won't sell any chicks of at any price right now because I am working on a breeding program and can't spare any without sitting myself back.

It just depends on the quality as to the price being high, low or fair.

I have a few chicks I hatched out of shipped hatching eggs for next years breeding program that I have $50.00 per chick invested in not counting feed.
idunno.gif
I also have some that I bought for .50 cents each as day old chicks.​

I would say it is an average price.
Good breeder stock varies by breeder based on location n quality.
With the cost of living going up it affects the cost of live stock.

In my area I see ranges between $3 to $5 on chicks (even mixed ones). Layers n started pullets averaging between $10 to $20.
Well known breeders can fetch higher prices due to good reputation along with high quality stock.

Quote:
I would die.
th.gif
$7 is the most I have ever paid for a laying hen. And they were EE's and were 1 1/2 years old.

For chicks I would not ever never ever pay more than $3 each- and I would only pay that if they were sexed and a special rare breed or something!

Back
Top Bottom