Found a farm with Wyandottes for sale....

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Plucky Pullet, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    So I found a farm with LOTS of chicken breeds for sale. Most importantly he has 6 month old SLW & GLW for sale. I want a GLW (I think) and he is charging $20-$25 for them. I have not gone to see them I just wanted to know if this is a good price for semi-mature birds?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    That is a reasonable price for a very nice healthy pullet. (If you go there and see conditions which you don't like - walk away.)

Good luck with your new birds!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that's a bit pricey. Maybe it depends on what area you live in, but I wouldn't pay much more than $10 to $15 dollars for a pullet.

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Theres alot of things that you have to consider that goes towards the cost of the birds in this case it depends on the quality of the bird and the condition of the bird. If it were me and the birds weren't top quality I would not go through with the deal but in my area you can buy hens for $8-12 less if you go to an auction.

5. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    It appears that the price of a bird will depend on a few things; age, geographic location, and the time of year.

Perhaps it is simply because I have never owned chickens before and am the first to admit I am naive about most of the things so far so I do *lurk* on many topics, but honestly I don't know where else to look for pullet (that are definitely pullets) of my desired breed that are the same age as the chicken I already have....

Perhaps you guys would point me in the right direction and I can lift my blindfold just a peep. I Live in the Portland/Vancouver area.

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I just had this feeling you did live in the northwest coastal area. In your area that is not an uncommon price for a pullet.

Out here, I would be laughed at and never sell a bird. I wouldn't pay that either - unless it was a breed/line I was interested in continuing through my own breeding. That doesn't mean it isn't right for you.

Because you are new to chickens, and because you only want a few birds of specific breed this could be a reasonable price for you. It allows you to skip weeks of work and waiting to begin with a bird that is healthy and ready to lay. That said, you need to be sure this bird IS healthy and well kept or the price is too high.

There are a lot of BYC members on this forum, you could try a wanted ad. Craigslist is an excellent resource as well, but you need to know what you are looking for as far as living conditions the birds are in and condition of the bird, or you may just buy trouble.

Remember any new bird needs to kept away from your current bird for several weeks and runs the risk of being a disease carrier.

PS
    How to search Craigslist more efficiently: Go to http://craiglook.com/ and put in the key word "pullet" or "hen" and your zip code. Then you can adjust for how far you are willing to drive.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by