Found a fertile egg supplier for $5 per dozen!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LukeandAli, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was happy to have found someone to supply for $15 per dozen, but, then I checked craigslist.org again last night and there's someone selling hatching eggs for $5 per dozen! [​IMG]SO EXCITED!!!! I just bought an incubator off ebay last night and, as soon as that gets here (and we get everything figured out), we're going to go pick out our eggs! They aren't my dream breed or anything (but, the $15 per dozen eggs are!); but, I figure, for a first hatch, I don't want to pay too much for the eggs (in case I make a boo-boo or something). So, if you're in NW OR or SW WA, check Portland's craiglist.com! The seller is only about half an hour to 45 minutes from where I live and they'll let me pick my own eggs. [​IMG] I'm so excited! Can't wait!!!!

Oh, and my incubator came with an egg turner, so, I can start my hatch whenever I want and not have to worry about going into labor and not being able to turn the eggs while at the hospital (although, I was kinda fond of the idea of taking the incubator with me). [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Great score on the eggs! [​IMG]

And you're right, you don't want to start off with expensive eggs . . . use the cheap eggs for practicing.

When I first bought my incubator, I practiced with my barnyard eggs. Most were mix, but I got a bunch of really nice purebreds, too.

Now I buy shipped eggs which are always overpriced and they don't all hatch, but I'm only doing that till I get all the varieties I want.

Good luck with your hatching and good luck with your new baby!!

[​IMG]

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Hey, congrats on the new baby and the eggs!

What kind of eggs are you going to hatch? And what is your "dream breed"?

I have to admit I'm not sure that setting them to hatch right now is such a fantastic idea. I think you'll want to wait a bit. You don't know if you're going to be in for a tough delivery or not, or if you'll be stuck in the hospital longer than anticipated. I have four kids, and the one thing I can predict about a birth is that it will be unpredictable.

I'm sorry to be such a fun sucker, but I would be really disappointed if I ended up being in the hospital for a c-section and missed my chicks hatching. If you plan for the chicks to hatch 3 weeks or so past your due date, you'll most likely be guaranteed a spot on the front row.

Keep in mind this is someone who planned and carried out an international flight with a 4 week old, so I'm not exactly the "No adventures around a newborn" kind of person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by