Found a good heater for chickens in Barn.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Juliechickens, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    If any of you guys are looking for a heat source for your chickens like I was, you might want to check out www.sweeterheater.com. I just bought one and my husband is installing it today inside our barn. It's safe and a great way for them to keep warm. We are hanging ours right in the middle of where they sleep in the barn. I've been hanging red heat lights in the past which they enjoy but didn't seem to warm barn up too much so I think this will be even better. Just thought I'd share the info. Julie [​IMG]

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    how many chickens are you trying to heat up? the largest will heat a 11 x 40 inch area, big enough area to fit 8-10 hens if you pack them in tight, and if they are packed that tight, you wont need a heater they will keep themselves warm. [​IMG]

3. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I tend to spoil my birds. I have that heater hanging in the middle of my small barn with two red lights hanging on each side. They love it and sleep in the middle or on the sides on their roost bars. It's just too cold out there for the few silkies that I have. I want to make sure they are comfy and cozy. Maybe I'm weird that way. Julie

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's a nice heater. I've never seen it before. Would be great over a brooder, huh?

5. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that is definately something to look into. I wonder how many of them I would need to warm my coop, as it is aproximately 20'x40', and I house 72 chickens right now and three ducks.

6. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I house 20 chickens right now half are bantam half are standard. My guess is that over a brooder this heater would hold up to about goodness...maybe 70 or so chicks if they were huddled together under it.....maybe more actually. It doesn't get too hot to the touch. Just warm and cozy. I think it would be great for a brooder as long as it didn't cover up the whole thing so they could get out from under it when they wanted to. Julie

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:The largest of the sweeter heaters. Used for farrowing pigs, dog kennel runs, large reptile cages, bird cages, bird incubators and whelping. Rated at 150 watts of power and will heat an 11 by 40 inch area (440 square inches). Specify side mount electrical (for flush mounting) or top mount electrical for hanging models.

20x40=80 square feet
    80 x 144 = 11,520 square inches
    11520/440=261 heaters for coverage at 97.54 each it will cost you $25,457 to heat your coop

Oh I forgot shipping cost and the additional wiring that will be required

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    julie i bet they stay warm with that heater in ur coop sence mine is like urs.i like the idea of no lights

9. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    It may not heat a large area to 70 degrees or so but it would take the chill off a larger area.

10. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I will pass on that baby, and continue using my milk house heater! I have it wired up good so my girls won't knock it down, and 2 lights in there. I also got my plastic heated waters the other day. So far they are nice! My girls love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by