1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Found a homing pigeon today !

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by poultrykeeper08, Aug 29, 2010.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Went out to let me birds out and walking around the pen area was a homing pigeon . So I did way any one would do and netted it ! It now lives with my other homing pigeon some one found and gave to me .

This Is the second one I have found . Or should I say found me . This time last year i found one the same way . The birds band had the usual numbers and dates but also had names and a web site . The bird was from out west but he had a partner in ct and the bird got lost during the big races around this time .

After contacting them the man sent me a box but I was unable to ship it do to going to work for 6 in the morning and by the time I was out of work it was closed . The man got very mad threatened to call the cops . I was better off just letting it go . Witch I threatened to do after the man called and emailed me 25/7 ( apparently it was a really good bird worth alot ) . But I did end up sending it . But never got a thank you or anything .

2. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Songster

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I found a homer one time. I called the owner and they said I should just let it go. And luckily it went home, and the people were very thankful.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If you ever find any with Stone Aviary tags, please release them & let them come home........thus called , HOMING PIGEON [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Does it have any tags on it? Do you know where its from?
    If it didnt have tags..i'd keep it too! (they must not care tooooo much about the pigeon if it dosent have bands/tags on it..)
    What if its lost from far away?? Poor thing...its going to be winter here soon...

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Bands and tags do fall off now and then. Sometimes we dont get our bands in time to get them banded, so we do have a few without bands. If one shows up here, we ALWAYS try to find out where it came from and try to get it back to where it belongs, its the right thing to do..................

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Glad it got home. Some people have some bad tempers aparently. If it were me, I'd be more patient in getting my bird back, as long as I did get it back soon.

7. AllAroundAnimalLover

AllAroundAnimalLover Hatching

Sep 10, 2010
    [​IMG] would also like to add ... If a Bird gets Lost , It usually needs a Bit of water and food and most of all rest -- and then let it go or do what you did Nicely contact the owner - some want them back and some say its not a good bird if it got lost - and if / when you send it back they may ( Not sugar coating it with calling it Culling ) end up Killing the Bird -- So do the correct Thing ! Peace ! Mike

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If you are going to just kill the bird, then why take it back to begin with?
    That's why I tell people to ask the owner if they really do want the bird back or not. If it is a cull to them, then ask if you can just keep the bird or find a new home for it. Simple as that. It would just seem more trouble than it's worth to go pick up your bird and then turn around and kill it. The majority of pigeon fanciers don't practice lethal culling though. Not unless the bird is sick/injured beyond repair. Even then, a lot of people will still give it a fighting chance. Please don't go thinking we all kill culls. If I have birds I do not need for breeding and such, I sell or give them away. I find no point in killing a bird who could still be useful to someone else. If not for breeding, then for a pet or foster parent. After all, one man's trash is another man's treasure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: