Found a Kitten*Cute Pics Added*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SoccerMomof7, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well today my DH found a baby kitten across the street, I am hot sure how old it is I can't get it to eat food but I did go and get the milk replacement and it will drink it from a lid but it hasn't went to the bathroom. I have tried to wipe it's bottom with a wet towel but I am not sure if I am doing it right or if I even need to do it. Can someone help me please. BTW I will post pic soon so maybe someone will know his age.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Posting a picture would probably help give us an idea of the kittens age.

If it's not eating solid food (have you tried kitten food?), then you did the right thing to give the milk replacer.

If you have a vet near you that you could call and ask if you could just bring it in for them to give you an idea of it's age that would also help. My vet would do that for free - not giving an exam - just telling you it's approx. age and what to do for it.

Keep up with the milk replacer ... I'm assuming it's licking/drinking the milk from what you said. That's a good sign, otherwise you would have to bottle feed it or use an eyedropper.

Using a damp paper towel do the swirling motions around it's bottom to get it to go potty. Sounds like you are doing that.

Good luck.

3. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    If it hasn't eaten in a long time it may not have anything to poo out. Just keep encouraging the milk replacer.

4. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well it's belly feels full or bloated. Here are a few pics I just took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    This does sound gross but you can stimulate the baby with your bare fingers to make it use the bathroom.

A full/bloated belly could be worms too but the baby is to young for dewormer. I'd say the baby is about 3-4 weeks from the look of it.

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I was going to guess 2 weeks, but what should I do about the worms? I have food grade DE, it that okay to use?

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Southern may be right on, I was going to say that it looks like it's 4 to 5 weeks old, closer to 5 weeks.

We just brought home a six week old kitten and she doesn't look that much older. Here's a picture for comparison:

She's the little grey tabby on the right side - she was 6 weeks old in this picture -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I think that kitten is closer to 5-6 weeks old than to 2. At two weeks they are rolling around with eyes mostly closed still. Best of luck!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It is so cute! I'd say between 5 & 6 weeks. Looks about the age of some wild kittens in my barn.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

How precious! I agree that this lil one is closer to 5/6 weeks. Too adorable! Congrats and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by