Found a kitten on my way to work.....PICS after surgery -Post #39

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jerseygirl1, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, so I am driving about 1/2 mile frmo home with DH behind me in his truck, and I spot what looks like a white little dog in the road. I stop and it comes barreling towards me and it's a cute little all white kitten with blue eyes, and yes, you guessed it, deaf as a doornail which is probably why she was by herself. Definitely someone's barn cat or stray, she has some upper respiratory thing going on, hopefully that's all that it is. ANyway, eyes all gunked up and what not. So, DH says, take it home and put it in the back bedroom. (What a guy!) So, I put her in the car and put her in my garage at home
    We already have four cats (indoor/outdoor, fully vetted, spayed/neuter/microchipped) See where this is going? Gave her some food, water, a litter box and a bed and proceeded to go back to work. . Yes, I know the vet is great, but the vet is also too expensive right now and we just got back on our feet. She needs to be FLV/Leukemia negative and wormed before I can even think about putting her in her own isolated room in the house.
    She's probably staying, unless someone is looking for her, which I doubt. I didn't see anyone waving their hands in the air and calling "Here kitty, kitty" when I drove away.
    I am just wondering what to do with her eyes, how I can clean them out til I can get in touch with the shelter for low cost suggestions on testing and shots

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Warm water and a soft cloth will clean her eyes out. However, she probably needs a few days of an ophthalmic ointment. You can buy this OTC at a most farm stores.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Call your local no-kill rescue organizations, they will take her.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Whats the name of it?

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    We need pics, of course!!!!! You KNOW its aganist the rules to post about kittens or chicks or puppies and not add a pic!!!!!!!!
    Dont make me report you... [​IMG]

6. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:[​IMG]

I got a lil' farm kitty myself. I think my dad is in love, today he was all excited over how careful he is with his claws (doesn't use you as a pincushion). He still likes small, dark spaces to sleep (he was born and raised in a barn) but comes when called now.

I agree with Redhen, warm washcloth and a lil' love should do the trick (don't ask me about ointments, though).

AND A NAME! We MUST know her name! [​IMG] Mine's Mr. Bojangles.

7. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:Whats the name of it?

I have no idea! Terramycin ointment is a common one. I think Pfizer makes it but I am sure that are lots of brands out there.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OMG - I went into the garage to check on her after work and couldn't find her, my DH and I thought she died or got out. It was horrible - there she was a curled up in a ball - I told my Dh she went to sleep and never woke up. I went to get gloves and a bag, and my DH started yelling "SHE's MOVING"

She's deaf

She never heard us calling her, so she kept right on sleeping until he poked her.......................................

Pics are coming

She's staying, the vet bill is climbing and so are the food costs!!!!!!!!!!

Weird thing is, when we were little, my mom's favorite cat was all white, blue eyes, deaf.............my mom died almost to the day I found this kitten, and when I found her, Xmas music was playing on the radio IN JULY...................

So I am leaning towards her as being a belated (or early) Christmas gift from my mom

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Pure white cats are generally deaf--it is a genetically linked thing. As long as you keep her for a house cat she'll adjust very well just keep her routine as constant as possible.

As far as the eyes, we have one cat that has eye problems from time to time and my wife uses a solution of 1/4th tsp of boric acid to 1/2 c of boiling water which she stores in a sterile bottle to rinse them. She will put the acid solution in a half tsp and drip it into the cat's eye or eyes as I hold the cat and a piece of toilet paper to catch the solution before it gets in his ears or nose. When the infection is really bad we will do this twice a day but if we catch it early enough only once a day until it clears up. This works as well for us as the prescription the vet gave us when we adopted him.

Your story sounds like my daughter and her husband. She seems to attract strays having given 5 a home in her house and another half a dozen to be adopted out. Her most recent acquisition came with some internal infection which, last I knew, has, along with basic testing and health checks, cost close to a $1000. And the cat has to be confined to her husband's office since it will not tolerate the other 5. So it will probably be rehomed, eventually.

10. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I saw this when you posted and I'm getting impatient for pictures! [​IMG] This kitten sounds really cute.

You're so nice for rescuing it. I can't imagine a deaf kitten doing well out in the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by