Found a "lash egg" - Now what?

Just sayin

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Last edited:
Last edited:
But the link also talks of success if treating early, vaccinations, and respiratory infections, which makes me think there's a communicable element. I may not save the hen that laid this, but what about the rest of the flock?

You would have to know what caused the inflammation. It could be things other than bacterial. Most likely would be viral and antibiotics wouldn't help any of them. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics is why we have so many resistant bacteria today.

You can have the hen euthanized and necropsied to have seriology, bacteriology and PCRs done to try to find the cause of the inflammation but it may no longer be present.

What state are you in and I can give you your state poultry lab/s.

Washington. I am trying to find a local vet who sees poultry for advice, but right now I don't even know which hen laid this.

Well that is a problem.
Do you have any means of separating some temporarily and swapping them out till you investigate it? How many layers do you have?
Good avian vets aren't common and those with poultry experience are rare as hen's teeth. If you can't find one with poultry experience, it may not be worth going.
Are you around during the day to check the nests often to narrow down the culprit?
Here's your labs. They may be able to refer you to a good vet. They work with vets all over the state.

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Avian Health and Food Safety Laboratory, Puyallup
2607 W Pioneer
Puyallup, WA 98371-4919 Phone 253-445-4537 Fax 253-445-4544

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Bustad Hall, Rm 155-N
Pullman, Washington 99164
Phone: 509-335-9696 Fax 509-335-7424

Thanks... I can at least call them for advice this morning. We have 10 hens. Two roosters

We are around and will be trying to narrow it down, but all look fine to us so far, and with the season, not all are laying right now, a few are young pullets who never laid yet. I'm not sure what to expect. I guess if I get a good egg from someone, it's not that hen.

Last edited:
So you think it wouldn't be a pullet? That would rule out three.

We can tell them apart, we only have one of each breed, on purpose!

We have only one green egged hen, and she's been laying healthy eggs nearly every day, so it's probably not her.

When I'm feeling the pelvis, am I feeling for those who are laying or those who aren't? Would the hen who laid this thing be wide or narrow? does a mature hen who stops laying for a while due to molt or season become narrow?

We have one leghorn who lays white eggs, we have not gotten an egg from her in some time.

The rest - 5 left - lay brown eggs, and we have been getting about 3 brown eggs a day.

Last edited:
Unlikely a pullet since the inflammation has to be active for quite a while to get to the point of producing a lash egg.

It would be one with a wide space because the body prepares for egg laying by expanding that region. A lash egg wouldn't happen if they weren't in production.

Back
Top Bottom