found a missing hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flock-mama, May 31, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    A few weeks ago one of my black hens (not sure of her breed) was just gone from my coop. Today I go out and she came out from under the coop chirping like a chipmunk and all fluffy and chasing others around. Drinking and eating while she is doing this. I wonder if she has been sitting on eggs for the last 2 weeks and came out for a break. I can't see under coop to check for nests. Understand my coop is an old camping trailer with chicken wire all around it, so they can get under it, as well as inside with a yard. They lay eggs in the sink and closets. Anyway what do you think, is she broody? Thanks:p

2. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok I feel stupid now, she isn't even in the coop, I saw her go behind an old dryer and sit. I didn't disturb her to see how many eggs she has. I can't believe I didn't see her for the last 2 weeks, right in the middle of my property with weeds growing around. Here I have been trying to make one of my hens sit on eggs and I had one doing it all along! Thanks for listening!

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    glad you found her and hope you have chicks soon! Once my missing hen was RIGHT THERE! in the tall grass behind the retaining wall hee hee

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What a relief that she didn't get eaten by something! [​IMG] What a little stinker hiding from you.[​IMG] Glad you were able to find her. I can't believe she's been hiding that long.

Congratulations!

Sred

5. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I will watch close, kind of want to move her and eggs to nursery area, but don't want to mess her up. I hope the eggs are good and she isn't wasting her time. IF it's been 2 weeks then I should know in a week. This is my 2nd time to let them hatch but 1st time was 3 years ago, and they were safe in the nursery from begining. I feel like a nervous mommy....

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would go ahead and candle them and see. You don't want her sitting on them any longer if they're no good. I hope they are viable!

Shelly

7. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I don't know how to candle eggs, what if she doesn't want to sit after I touch them?

8. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I lifted her up a bit to see how many eggs she has, I saw 5 maybe 6, they are all brown. She must be a black australorp, thats what she looks like in the order book for hatchery. Thanks for you input....

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I used to misplace Miss MoneyPenny in leaf piles. LOL

10. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    That's exciting. Hope she hatches some babies. I remember as a kid, we had a missing hen too. Then one day I kept hearing chirping from a small crack between the fence and one of the pens. I stuck my head to peek and there she was. The next day she brought out her 8 chicks. We were so happy. She was a tiny little runt Game fowl mix hen. When I checked her nest she still had 4 eggs that didn't hatch. I had no clue how she sat on all those eggs. She somehow mated with our huge Malay rooster. In a little over a week, she couldn't even keep all the chicks under her. The chicks all ended up being pretty big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by