Found a mouse in my feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chrism, Oct 14, 2015.

1. chrism

chrism Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Zone 7A Central Va.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Where there is food available, mice are always a possibility. I suggest mouse traps or these boxes that keep trapping multiple times. I don't have mouse problems, but you can see who I employ...
    WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chrism

Jan 17, 2009
    Zone 7A Central Va.
    Oh man...! That's what I'll do.
    A couple of outdoor ally cats sure would take care of the mice and small snakes around here.
    Is there ever a concern for mouse/rat droppings and parasites in chicken feed?

1 person likes this.
  4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Not sure how bad that black rice is, but am sure it is better not to have. Chickens are quite tolerant to many things that would make us sick. They eat their poop and don't get sick. They scratch in the ground and pick up all sort of things. After we work in our garden soil, you know we must wash our hands well. Of course there are many things that can make them sick as well. If you see black rice in their feed, then try your best to remove it.. I would. As to my warriors, yes they earn their keep. They are feral cats that I feed. They are part of our county TAR program. Trap and release. They are neutered or spayed and receive rabies shots. Their left ear gets clipped a small amount to identify them as protected at this stage. Animal control can easily identify them with the ear tip. Not sure that this is practiced where you are at, but it is a successful program to control cats in our area.
    HOPE THIS HELPS [​IMG]

5. drsteik84

drsteik84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Blackfoot, Idaho, USA
    We ended up having to get a hanging feeder. Even then we had to make sure nothing was close enough for the mice to climb and jump.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Hanging feeders seems to cut way back on the mouse problem. be careful of the alley cat idea, chicken can be a favorite on feral cat menu's, and I mean chicken not just chicks. I have lost 8 lb roosters to feral cats.

1 person likes this.
  7. chrism

Jan 17, 2009
    Zone 7A Central Va.
    Thanks all for the help!
    I am coordinating with a few Barn Cat re-homing organizations in my area.
    The possible problem of the cats going after the birds is a big concern of mine but you never know until you try I guess.
    I've thought about hanging the feeder but it weighs 50+ lbs. when full.
    I'm also considering adding an outdoor Terrier breed dog.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

We had an orange tomcat who wandered too far once.....he was gone a few days and came home neutered with his ear clipped [​IMG]. I didn't know anyone around here was doing that program. He stayed closer to home after that!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My cat is not very big... about 10#, and he's not a great hunter. But, he takes great pleasure in chasing chickens just to see them run. IDK what he'd do if he ever caught one. Don't really want to find out. Often, when I let the flock out to free range, he'll get down and roll on the ground with them, and just lay around and watch them... other times, he gets that wild leopard look in his eye, and hunkers down, and that tail starts twitching. Then, he gets tossed back in the house.

Don't blame him... poor guy!

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    My German Shepherd thinks she's part cat. I know of at least 3 mice she has dispatched in the past 6 months.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by