Found a nest of eggs...in the bushes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davemonkey, Aug 1, 2013.

1. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I had noticed a lack of eggs because the flock is still new here...we got a flock of layers from my brother just shy of 3 weeks ago. So anyway, I was poking around the bushes today and found a nest with 8 eggs in it. We have 10 layers and yesterday we did catch one laying in the bushes, but didn't notice these others. My guess is that some were laid yesterday, and some today...but I honestly can't be certain of that.

So, I've got some questions:

-What's the time limit on whether these eggs are still good (for eating)?
    -If no hen was sitting on them, what are the chances these would be hatch-able?
    -I candled...sort of, with a crude flashlight in a dark closet...and didn't notice anything. Does that matter?
    -How do I prevent the hens from laying there in the future??

2. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Oops. I meant I had NOT noticed a lack of eggs.

3. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Okay, so I've been reading around and it seems that the eggs should be fine as long as they were in a shaded spot...which they were...and it has not been more than a few days...which I am fairly certain about. Just in case, I'll crack them open inside a plastic baggie when I'm ready to use them.

I gave up on trying to figure out whether they'd be good to hatch, mainly because I don't have the time right now to mess with an incubator or a brooder. But I'm going to assume they'd have been hatch-able for up to 7 day (something I read online about how to ship eggs to hatcheries).

I also read that I either have to accept that they want to lay there...or coop them until they all lay in the nest boxes...so the flock will get group punishment the next couple days. Poor girls. [​IMG] I know why they chose those bushes. It's a cool spot in this hot humid weather here (SE Texas) and the plants have huge leaves that provide lots of cover and privacy. 3 large tree stumps surrounded by a sea of "cast-iron plant".

4. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    My chickens love to play hide the eggs I would find one nest clean it out they never use it again. And so on. When I would find a nest I would do the float test. Bowl of water place egg in if it floated trash if it stayed sunk it was good. Mine are in group time out since I have new layers my spring hatched are laying. But I found some softshells so I have them confined to the coop teaching the new layers about oyster shells.

5. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my flock is in group time-out as of this mornign and they are hating it. I told them, "squack...blahblahblah...cu-CAAAAAAHHHHHHH....squack blah...", and then I did that "coo" sound (kinda like a pigeon) that my Rooster does when he's calling them over for something interesting...but I don't think they were paying attention to me. [​IMG]

About your sot shells, I've been doig some reading here and there, and if you are feeing scratch grains/bird seed, you can greatly increase digestability (thereby increasing nutrient absorption) by soaking overnight in water with just a squirt of lemon juice, or kefir, or apple cider vinegar. (It works for humans too! Believe it or not, soaking beans in our family has made beans a "safe" meal...if you know what I mean. [​IMG] And I'm being serious.)

6. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Yeah my chickens don't like my chicken talk either. About the beans really ????? I will try that. Being in a house of teenage boys ugh I dread bean night I swear they compete on stench.since cooped I have not found any more soft eggs ( mixed so oyster shells in feed) and some on the side seems to have worked. The girls are upset their spinach oatmeal with meal worm toppings is running late

7. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    HAHA!! Yes...I am totally serious about the beans. Soak them 7-24 hrs (Briana just does it overnight...but it MUST be at least 7 hours) in water+kefir (or lemon juice, or whey, or buttermilk, or apple cider vinegar). I think 1 cup water to 1TBS "other" ingredient is the proper ratio. You will never fear bean night again.*

*Results may vary...blah blah blah...

I really wonder if that's the same thing as what is going on when folks "ferment" their chicken grains. Since I have started soaking my chicken seed (just a few days ago) I have noticed a difference. They no longer hammer the layer pellets (I nearly have to force them to eat the pellets) and we are suddenly getting more eggs (which may or may not be related...the flock is still fairly new to us...we've had them 3 weeks). But even their poop looks healthier (ie. no grain residue or whole seeds in it like there was before...everything is being digested and absorbed).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  8. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Well that is definitely worth a try. I have a flock of 18. 8 are from a march hatch and I am getting about 5 very small eggs every other day. Praying I don't have 3 roos as we already have an awesome roo. But out of 9 full grown hens we only get about 4 eggs daily from them. Some I inherited so unsure of their age. So would be nice to bump up production so to speak. And of course happy chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by