Found a nest!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ColoCowgirl, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ColoCowgirl

ColoCowgirl New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    I just found a nest under my porch. I had about 30 eggs in the nest . I have a Buff Orpington that has been setting a nest in my coop, so I put the eggs in with her. I am wondering if these eggs will hatch? I live in Colorado and it has gotten pretty cold here lately. This is the first time I have been through this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    You put all those eggs under her [​IMG].. I wonder if that is a bit to many... My Buff Orph is sitting on 8 right now. I think she could handle a few more but not 30.. I'm not an expert on hatching but I would think about having maybe 15 under her... But wait till some others answer on here... I wish you the best of luck...I can't wait to see how it works out..[​IMG]

Christal

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, all 30 is way too many. No way she can cover them well so you end up with partially developed dead chicks and a staggerd hatch--the ones that spend more time on the cooler edges hatch a day or two later then the eggs that stayed warmer, then the hen abandons the almost ready to hatch eggs to take care of the hatched chicks. I'd candle the ones in the nest and pick out a few of the best looking ones--and only do that if the orp hasn't been on her own nest for more then a day or so.

You can do the float test on the eggs from the hidden nest too. This time of year most of them will probably still be good so you can eat them yourself of cook them up and feed them back to the chooks for a treat. Eggs that stay on the bottom are good, the ones that float are not. [​IMG]

4. ColoCowgirl

ColoCowgirl New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    I candled the eggs and left her with 10, she left her nest on Tuesday and none of the chicks hatched. [​IMG] We will try again in the spring [​IMG]. The hen is doing well and finally came out of the coop today and was out and about in the yard. Thanks for the help, I appreciate the advice.

5. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Sorry you didn't have better luck,

Maybe next time..

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by