**found a nest..?!**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DirtCreature, Aug 8, 2011.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Ive found a nest one of the chickens have made in the neighboring field. Once i retrieve the eggs out of it what do i do? do i destroy the nest to discourage her from laying there again, or is that even possible?

2. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    does anyone have any advice?

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Do you know who laid the eggs, and has that hen been setting on the eggs? acting broody? do you want a broody hen? If you want to hatch the eggs, perhaps you could move her and the nest to an enclosed place where you want her to be. If you don't want to, you could keep her in an enclosed run/coop for a while. I have one that has hidden nests and then continues to be broody, even when I block her access to the nesting site --she'll sit on nothing! [​IMG]

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You can lock your hens (or hen if you know which one) in the coop for a few days until they get in the hang of laying in their nest boxes. You can destroy the nest, but if they don't get used to laying in the nest box they will likely just make another one. Good luck!

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    thank you~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by