Found a nest??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ket806, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    Ok so none of my ducks are laying right now. A few are rescues who are older and haven't ever laid for me. I found a divot on the dirt next to the fence, could it be a nest? None of the ducks ive had before have ever made a nest in the dirt out in the open they have always laid in the barn in the straw or box:/. Do y'all think it could be a nest? Do yall think this means they are about to start laying? I haven't seen any of them laying in it and the past two days it's look like one of them have been digging and possibly sitting in it(and I just haven't seen them). They all sin bathe out in the grass and that's where they always sleep during the day. Hmmm any thoughts?

2. Childwanderer

Childwanderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Well, one of my ducks recently made a nest way out in the garden far away from the coop and laid a nest in it.
    The nest was round and just big enough to accommodate the duck lying on it. She had skootched the surrounding dead leaves around the nest to reinforce it.
    I can't tell you whether your find is a duck nest or not, but I think it is possible.

3. Childwanderer

Jun 16, 2012
    The nest my duck made was pretty deep too.

4. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    I've tried to get pictures but the flash just makes look flat I will get one tomorrow during the day. It does look like it could be a nest but I've never had any make one so i cabt be 100% they have always used the boxes or just Layed them right in the straw. It looks like the perfect size for one to lay down in it and have a small mound of dirt rise up on the side all the way around

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, my experience with ducks and nests is sorta different: between the legs of a sawhorse, another nested between 3 concrete blocks over wnich i happened to place a folded deck chair for a few months (she stole the secret spot from my cat!), and at the base of an old pine tree kinda between two exposed roots.

Oh, otherwise my ducks just lay their eggs any old place they are when it comes.

6. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Lol too funny those are odd places!!

7. Childwanderer

Jun 16, 2012
    That sounds like a nest, ket806. However, don't hold your breath for her to lay again in the same place. I haven't found the nest I found used since the first time.

8. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Exciting maybe they will all start laying soon!!

9. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Ok finally got a decent picture.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by