Found a new bait for raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by patman75, Nov 13, 2011.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had put one of my wife's scented bathroom candles in one of our holloween jack-o-lantern. I jack-o-lantern was placed near our wooded trails during neighbors halloween party to mark the start of the "spooky wooded trail".

Over a week went by and I hadn't picked the the jack-o-lanterns. As I walked up to the pumpkin I noticed the candle on the ground and I first thougth the kids were playing with it until I got closer and saw chunks of candle on the ground with teeth marks in the candle. [​IMG]

It looks like the raccoon really wanted to eat it but after many bites it realized it smelled good but did not taste good. [​IMG]

Wife was not too happy about her candle. [​IMG]

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    another one is shellfish oil it smells like rotted crabs,clams etc but it is chemically produced it has no natural properties coon are crazy about the smell but after they get a taste they seldom return this is why it is important to get them the first time through I catch a lot of them with a molasses based lure

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    marshmallows work great coons love them barn cats ignore them [​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have caught racoons on the normal bait, marshmellows, hot dogs, misc meat, etc.

But this year I have had a racoon taste and ruin a batch of sun dills pickels I had outside and now the candle. funny racoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by