Found a new huge egg What do they need to "mate"

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jellobutt, Feb 20, 2013.

1. jellobutt

jellobutt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]
    So I have been checking the nest she built and finally there was this huge egg in it. The middle is from the BBW hen and the blue from my little chicken. My question is what does she and her partner need in order to do the deed. I want more geese but like all of the birds we have I want them to raise their own babies. I think the world of all my birds but I just don't want them in the house. I dont know what breed she is she has a pink beak and is white with patchy grey spots on her she was suppose to be a toulouse but one of the chinese we got was a roman tufted. Her husband is an embden i think he is all white with funny feathers on his neck they look ruffeled. She is very calm mellow and nice he has gotten very aggressive the last few days, now I know why.
    We have not eaten the goose egg yet so I do not know if it is fertilized. We plan to eat some and hatch some to eat the offspring.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    clean water (pool) is all they need for the actual mating. Good nutrition is also a must to have healthy birds who lay good quality eggs.

3. jellobutt

Jan 19, 2013
    Idaho
    They get flock raiser and alfalfa/grass hay. I will begin refilling the pool as soon as I get outside. When there is grass growing they graze in the yard, sure beats mowing it. Any idea as to what her breed is? I have never seen a goose with pink on its beak.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wheres the pic? and [​IMG]

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    need pictures to even think of guessing. Odd you never saw a goose with pink on its bill before

just one of our girls a grey sebastopol

[​IMG]

6. jellobutt

Jan 19, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the pics of my lover goose. Her foot back color and her face.

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Need to see pictures of the whole goose to get an idea of what you have. [​IMG] Bit of the goose I can not tell???

8. jellobutt

Jan 19, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry they are sideways but here they both are. This our first time with geese. And the only time I have been near geese before this it was wild Canadian geese. They are so much fun and are excellent guard animals, they tell the dogs whats going on.

9. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I would say that they are both embdens. I have heard that females may keep a few dark feathers a little longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by