Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Langley, BC, Canada
I found the ad and emailed the lady

This is what she said when I asked tons of questions

Hi Karri,
>
> I have 2 americauna roosters (green egg laying). My hens are different breeds, but several of them are green egg laying. If you prefer, I can put green eggs only in the incubator and the chicks will be ready in just over 3 weeks.
>

to which I said:

Okay, I will let you know for sure on saturday,.... I am looking for chicks that hatch from blue eggs.. as I have plenty of green egg layers in my flock and a clutch due to hatch any time now.

and she said:

It is the Aracaunas that lay the blue eggs, the ones without tails. I don't have them, my eggs are more a bluish-green.
It is up to you, I don't want to sell you something you are not looking for. Blue egg layers are hard to find

Now... don't ameraucanas lay blue eggs... ?

true auracaunas (or ever how you spell it) do lay medium size blue eggs.
Easter eggers can also lay blue eggs, but that does not mean that they are true auracaunas...

Do a bit of research on the standards of the auracaunas, because most people selling them, are actually selling you a "mutt" easter egger.

Edit:
Don't get me wrong, I love my "mutt" easter eggers, and enjoy the green and blue eggs very much.
I just don't want you to pay extra for a common chick

Last edited:
My EE's lay blue, green, and brown eggs. Thats the fun of having EE's. You never know what your gonna get. $4 a piece for EE's is about the norm here in NJ.

Quote:
I get blue, green and olive from my EEs
smile.png

I have tons of EE's...
I wanted some that I knew the background of though, as it would be nice to know what exactly they are.
I have a broody hen right now, and 3 weeks ago at the auction, someone was selling 8 blue eggs that I should have bought.. they sold for $3 for the 8 of them... and all i would have had to have done was put them under a broody.. I just didnt have one at that time.

but I mean.. I can buy a pullet of laying age for $4 here... so unless it's a true ameraucana cross.. not reaaallly worth it for me!

$4. Wow I'd say that is way too much for a baby chicken. I don't think I would pay that much for a full blooded Ameraucana or Araucana, as If I had them they would be mixed with my EE's. this spring when and if I get me an incubator I'll try to sell mine for $2 each.

I sell my day old ameraucanas for $5 each and get it. Olive eggers go for $4 and Easter Eggers go for $3. I get that for hatching eggs as well. I think it probably depends on where you are in the country.
I sell adult ameraucanas for anywhere from $10 to $25 each, depending on age and gender. Again, it depends on quality and location. I paid a lot initially to get a really good starter flock and feel like I should be able to sell them for what they are worth. They are true blue egg layers and are quite lovely. My EEs and olive eggers are lovely as well. So far I haven't had trouble moving them.
idunno.gif

hide.gif
I paid about $10 each for my starter silkie chicks. It all comes down to what it is worth to you.

What a nice seller... so many people selling online seem to be scam artists or not willing to educate the buyer, but the lady you're considering sounds great. She took the time to reply to your questions and even said she didn't want to sell you something that you don't want. How refreshing!

And to echo what everyone else said, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers *can* lay blue eggs, but it's not common (only if they have Aruacana in their heritage and got the gene). Araucanas are the breed that lay blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom