Found a polish crested bantam

chiklet525

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 31, 2015
New Jersey
I haven't been here in a long time because I haven't had a flock of chickens in over a year. My husband and I use to live in a home with a lot of land and we had a flock of egg layers and I so enjoyed having chickens. We moved to a smaller home and do not have as much land. Anyway, my daughter came home yesterday carrying a polish crested bantam that she rescued from the middle of a busy street. We live in an area where many people have chickens so we went back to where she found the bird and knocked on all the doors. I was surprised that no one knew who the bird belonged to. We then drove to a local farmer to see if he could assist us. We rang the bell of his home only to see him peering out the window and he refused to come to the door. I assumed that we are not the first to show up holding a creature that is lost. Long story short the docile, friendly, beautiful chicken is now at our home. She is safe and comfortable in a pretend hutch made from an old dog crate. We made a family decision that she can stay and we are picking up a hutch for her today. We decided no matter how small our new home and property is, there is still plenty of room and love for her. This little chicken hit the jackpot, the daughter that found her is in school for Veterinary Technology. Our family LOVES all animals. My biggest concern is that I know chickens are flock creatures. I located a polish crested breeder about 2 hours away and I have an appt to go there this Friday and pick up another bird. Part of me would like to just keep the one bird we found. She loves my daughter and is really more of a pet. The experienced chicken keeper in my says she must have at least one other bird with her. Any input here? Has anyone ever kept just one ornamental bird? We got our first egg from her yesterday and she certainly seems happy. I am reading everything I can about this breed so I know how to care for her. Any positive input would be appreciated.

If you do not desire another bird than by all means you don't have to get another bird. Really the only time I ever had to have two is when they were young chicks or ducklings. It sounds like she is already tame so if you really pay attention to her than she'll be fine. Many people believe that parakeets need to be in pairs because otherwise they'll get lonely but when they get two they pay attention to each other more than they pay attention to the owner sometimes. When I had singular pigeons they also were much willing (as far as pigeons go) and when I introduced them into pairs they had no interest in cooperating when I handled them.

This may not be true for every person and they can have pairs of Parakeets, Pigeons, and Chickens and they are fine with them but really by the sounds of how your polish is doing than it's not necessary provided you're willing to give the attention it needs or just put another flock member in there and she'll also get her social needs from another chicken as well.

Thank you for your reply. This is a very different perspective. I really thought chickens had to be members of a flock but if her flock can consist of her human family members than I might leave well enough alone and not get another hen. My daughter has developed such a wonderful routine with her. We just got a cute coop for outside but at night she makes a little bed for her in a tiny crate which she keeps in her bedroom. As soon as she puts her in there she snuggles all up in her blanket. The crate is covered and we dont hear a peep out of her until we wake her in the morning. I think she should keep up this routine then we dont have to worry about predators at night. This routine may not be possible with two hens. It would also be terrible if we got another hen and she lost her affection for my daughter.

Back
Top Bottom